File conversion help

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
Jmd424
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

File conversion help

Post by Jmd424 »

Hi guys, I convert JPG files to DXF with an online converter. Usually it works good on simple images. Ive been trying to convert some more detailed photos for customer logos, and it converts fine and loads into Design Edge fine. Once in and I convert to cut path, the cut paths are wacky. I'm not sure why this is. Here are some screen shots of what I'm talking about to help get the point across.

Anybody have any tips/tricks to sort this out? Thanks in advance

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: File conversion help

Post by adbuch »

Post your pcm or dxf file and I will take a look.
David
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

You need to learn how to manipulate the lines and nodes in your software. Look for tutorials on this on Google and Youtube.

An auto trace is only going to be successful with simpler images that have good sharp contrast either side of where lines should be. You can use bitmap editing software to make coloured images black and white, which may help before doing an auto trace. Even that can only be so successful dependent on the original image.

But in general, if you are doing this as a business you really are going to lose money if you rely on auto tracing software and don't learn how to manually adjust lines and nodes. The ability to manually adjust lines and nodes also allows you to do pretty much anything with a vector drawing. Add something, remove something, stretch something, mirror something, modify the shape, the list goes on.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Jmd424 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:02 pm Hi guys, I convert JPG files to DXF with an online converter. Usually it works good on simple images. Ive been trying to convert some more detailed photos for customer logos, and it converts fine and loads into Design Edge fine. Once in and I convert to cut path, the cut paths are wacky. I'm not sure why this is. Here are some screen shots of what I'm talking about to help get the point across.

Anybody have any tips/tricks to sort this out? Thanks in advance
I own and use a Plasmacam DHC2 with Design Edge, so I am very familiar with Design Edge. You can either post your pcm file here or send me a PM and I will try to help you. You are correct, there are some "tips and tricks" which I'm pretty sure will be a big help to you once you see how to use them.
David

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”