Are .dxf files from plasmaspider cut ready?

If you are looking for help with a file conversion please post it here rather than in the file sharing forums.
AKmud

Are .dxf files from plasmaspider cut ready?

Post by AKmud » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:09 pm

Completely new to the plasma game (I apologize ahead of time...). I’ve downloaded a few shared files from here and am having difficulty getting them to look right. Should files look like this? What do I need to do to get it cut ready?
B0CCB764-0F03-4B76-A1C6-E9EE609D1525.jpeg

You do not have access to view or download this file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to this feature. Click Here

AKmud

Re: Are .dxf files from plasmaspider cut ready?

Post by AKmud » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:13 pm

Another issue I’m having is failure to open on several files.
80D1F5A4-473F-4226-97A8-FDD56AEB6023.jpeg
9FEB7FE0-A21F-4D83-B91C-13B257B29EA1.jpeg

You do not have access to view or download this file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to this feature. Click Here

Larry83301
Elite Contributing Member

Post by Larry83301 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Chances are that many files you download from here are NOT cut ready. Nobody that posts here knows what type of CNC you have or how big your kerf is on your machine, are you cutting with a laser or a router or plasma? Are you using a plasma with regular tip or fine cut? So much depends on what setup you have, what software you are using and how much knowledge you have in using all of these things that it is hard to say WHY you are getting what you are showing us. If you post your info in the Help section I'm sure someone can step you thru where you are having a problem and get you on your way to producing parts.

Larry

AKmud

Post by AKmud » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:38 pm

Thanks Larry. I’m still trying to find my way around PS as well. I’ll head over to the help section.

plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:45 am

I see your using Inkscape. Many here use it so I thought I would give it a try since it's free but I found it struggles to open most dxf files where my CorelDraw does not. I took the advice of others here and downloaded Qcad to convert the dxf files to svg files which Inkscape likes and it works much better. Still too cumbersome for me but it is free so can't say much. Get Qcad if you plan to stick with Inkscape.

Larry83301

Post by Larry83301 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:24 am

plasmanewbie wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:45 am
I see your using Inkscape. Many here use it so I thought I would give it a try since it's free but I found it struggles to open most dxf files where my CorelDraw does not. I took the advice of others here and downloaded Qcad to convert the dxf files to svg files which Inkscape likes and it works much better. Still too cumbersome for me but it is free so can't say much. Get Qcad if you plan to stick with Inkscape.
I use Inkscape once in awhile and have found that for some reason DXF files like to be brought into it in different ways, some need to be imported and some just opened, not sure why. I use Master Cam most of the time and still some DXF' files don't like to open in it. I can only assume that it's the settings that the up-loader has in his/hers program that they are using.

Larry

Return to “File Conversion Help Wanted”

Industry Pros use FastCut CNC