JPEG vectorizing

BobCAD related questions, tips and topics can be posted here
Erie Canal Fabworx
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

JPEG vectorizing

Post by Erie Canal Fabworx »

I have an awful time getting a photo say from pintrest, to vectorize anywhere close. I go from BOB ART load image and change the "darkness" settings, but when I go back to CAD there are lines all over, nothing is smooth. It is usually faster to try to redraw, any advice would be great. Thanks in advance Scott
Unvevo
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: JPEG vectorizing

Post by Unvevo »

Inkscape is free and their trace works very good
MidAmericaIron
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by MidAmericaIron »

Unfortunately, depending on the quality of the image that you import, that can be an issue. Unless I have an image that has great black and white contrast I just trace my images. Once you get used to using the spline tool it goes pretty quick. Don't forget to use Ctrl "I" key to blank the original image while you trace, it helps out a lot.
Erie Canal Fabworx
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Erie Canal Fabworx »

Would you please explain the Ctrl "I" useage, I have never dine this before!! Thanks
jakeg
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by jakeg »

Sometimes it's nice to blank the image (hide) and see the lines without the background. I find its easier to see how smooth the lines are. I right click the image in the dialog box for the drop down menu. I assume control I is the short cut.
I have had issues tracing with a spline. I get nodes or something sometimes the puts jogs in the cut path. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Maybe someone else can shed light about it. I now use continues line the use the deform tool to match the arch. I also use the drag corner tool to fine tune the corner of the arc for a even dome the arc needs to match
MidAmericaIron
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by MidAmericaIron »

Sorry... It's not control "I", just use the "I" button to hide the image

Return to “BobCAD”