When to change swirl ring?

Hypertherm Plasma Cutter discussion forum.
TLJC
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

When to change swirl ring?

Post by TLJC »

I have a hypertherm 1650 with a T100 torch. When I change out consumables, should I be changing some parts out together or just the parts that have visible wear or defects? How do you know when the swirl ring needs changing? Is there anything in the cut quality that would indicate that it is the swirl ring that needs to be changed? I bought my machine used and it came with both new and used consumables. How do I know if the swirl rings are good or not?
jimcolt
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: When to change swirl ring?

Post by jimcolt »

The swirl ring creates an accrate gas swirl pattern that is used to control cut edge angularity, to increase nozzle life by slinging cooler, unionized gas particles to protect the nozzle bore, and to control the arc attachment point on the electrode. It also acts as a high temperature, high voltage insulator between the nozzle (positive) and electrode (negative) . Rule of thumb is that the swirl ring should last for at least 50 electrode/nozzle changes.

Change the swirl ring if:

1. There is a blackened, burned or cracked area that will affect its insulation or flow characteristics.
2. The torch is cutting with bad edge angularity (worn nozzle and retaining cap can do this as well....so change one part at a time until problem goes away)
3. The torch misfires often

It is a good idea to keep a new spare as a trouble shooting measure. If any of the above occur...use the new swirl ring to determine if the problem is swirl ring or one of the other components.

The swirl ring in my home shop Powermax45 is over 3 years old....still works fine!

Jim Colt
aicomp
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by aicomp »

Jim,
I have a 1250 and was wondering why there is a difference between the swirl ring for mechanised cutting and hand cutting.
Thanks,
Mike :?:
http://www.PenningtonFab.com
Torchmate 3 with Accumove 3
Hypertherm 1250
Hypertherm 85
Hypertherm 380
Lincoln V205T Tig
Lincoln wirematic 250
Eastwood 175 with Spoolgun
Eastwood 135 Mig
aicomp

Post by aicomp »

I mean with fine cut in the above post.
Thanks,
Mike
Hypertherm 1250
Hypertherm 85
Hypertherm 380
Lincoln V205T Tig
Lincoln wirematic 250
Eastwood 175 with Spoolgun
Eastwood 135 Mig
jimcolt

Post by jimcolt »

The special swirl ring that Hypertherm offers for use with hand cutting with FineCut consumables....was developed after a few customers complained that it was difficult to get the arc to transfer to the plate under some conditions....when hand cutting. Our lab tests showed that under field conditions where input line voltage may be a bit on the low side...that there was an issue with edge starting....so this swirl ring was developed with a gas flow pattern that minimized this issue. I don't rcomend using that special swirl ring unless you need it for the above issue.

Jim Colt

aicomp wrote:Jim,
I have a 1250 and was wondering why there is a difference between the swirl ring for mechanised cutting and hand cutting.
Thanks,
Mike :?:
aicomp

Post by aicomp »

Thank You Jim.
Mike
Hypertherm 1250