Security Camera Plasma Table Monitoring

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Security Camera Plasma Table Monitoring

Post by arnegrant »

Hello,

Typically I cut multiple full sheets of the same part on our table (I make parts for work, never done any art to speak of - though some people at our shop use our tables for that off hours).

In the past when the table is running, I weld or clean parts or grind or whatever - but I need to be in the steel shop to listen for the whistle that comes just before the consumables burn up (its expensive to burn up the electrode, can wreck the cap or even mess up the start cartridge, oof).

Sometimes I have office work to do but I just sit at the welding table with my earplugs in and sit in the steel shop.

I got the idea to put up a security camera and now I can sit in my comfy office to do office work and still monitor the plasma table just next door!

Its super duper.

Here's a clip of what the camera sees with sound (can zoom in on my cell phone screen too):

Here's what my cell phone screen looks like:
ATT00001.jpg
Here's what it looks like mounted:
ATT0x0001.jpg
Here's how I have it on my desk, just using it on my cell phone at the moment - probably a desktop app but I don't have that all sorted yet.
ATT0x0001.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Security Camera Plasma Table Monitoring

Post by arnegrant »

Found the web app for the desktop. Now it can run on my computer. Nice.

WIN_20221231_14_21_07_Pro.jpg

weldguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by weldguy »

That's pretty sweet!
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

Thanks!

I got the camera in a better spot today (works better if it can see the torch)

It is just out of range of my remote control, so I have to figure out a stop button so can pause it quicker

I cut up 294x 6x6x0.5 with (4) 3/4" diameter holes each with this setup and had 4 lost plates from consumables going awry. More than I usually have for lost parts but I will take it as I gain productivity with office tasks - if I need to get office work done I will continue to use this.

Need to keep volume up and the stop button handy tho

20230102_151503.jpg
20230102_151452.jpg

View from relocates camera

adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

That's a great idea! It's nice to multi-task when possible.
David
arnegrant
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by arnegrant »

Yep.

I certainly wouldn't do fussy stuff that needs babysitting like 3/4 inch + mild, or expensive material like aluminum or stainless - but it's nice for 1/8 to 1/2 mild when burning hundreds of parts.

Probably better to clean parts or do something right meet to the table unless it's year end paperwork season
Jason@bc
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Jason@bc »

That's a pretty clever set-up you got there, I bet it's handy to be able to multi-task when you need to, time is money that's for sure.
asuratman
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by asuratman »

a lot of job ... good ...
N2 Welding
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by N2 Welding »

With me not having any CNC plasma cutting under my belt, it’s nice to read about things to look or listen for. Hope I am able to hear and detect a whistle as you put it and stop the cutting before not only material but a combination of consumables go down the drain. Thanks for sharing :)

Makes me wonder if the end of consumables life led circuit of the plasma cutter could be tapped into the stop button circuits in linuxcnc to have it stop automatically vs. having to baby sit and listen for that whistle etc.

In a perfect world I’d not be distracted by a phone call or some one talking to me in person etc and end in me not paying attention or listening for that whistle. Hmm this makes me want to look into the end of life trigger thing.

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”