Magnets for standoffs?

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
JeepGuy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Magnets for standoffs?

Post by JeepGuy »

Anyone ever use magnets to hold a 2 layered sign together and have a little bit of a stand off? Doing my first 2 layered sign that the customer wants them separated a little. looking for any other suggestions also.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Magnets for standoffs?

Post by Scratch »

Yes, I've done it often. You can get different thickness of rare earth magnets on Amazon. The ones I use most are 3/8" X 1/8". I love using them. I use them for letters too. Careful on painted pieces though, once they stick, removing them will probably require new paint.

I don't think they're the best for all situations though, so definitely talk it over with the customer.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

I think the small magnets could be very handy for the initial fitment of the parts (layers). But I would feel more comfortable using some spacers with glue or epoxy for the final assembly.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

I have used small bolts or machine screws. I plug weld them to the outside layer. Put a nut for spacer between the layers with a nut on the back of the last layer. I place them all together and drill through all for the placement of the bolts/screws to keep the alignment with each other. I smooth the welds of the outside layer so you do not see them.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by AREA »

I have used magnets in the past and they are simple to work with and work great for some applications. In some applications not a great idea since they will pick up metallic dust over time you will see dirt rings where he magnets are. Nuts and machine screws like AC said are typically my go to.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

acourtjester wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:50 am I have used small bolts or machine screws. I plug weld them to the outside layer. Put a nut for spacer between the layers with a nut on the back of the last layer. I place them all together and drill through all for the placement of the bolts/screws to keep the alignment with each other. I smooth the welds of the outside layer so you do not see them.
:Like :Like :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

AREA wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:57 am I have used magnets in the past and they are simple to work with and work great for some applications. In some applications not a great idea since they will up metallic dust over time you will see dirt rings where he magnets are. Nuts and machine screws like AC said are typically my go to.
:Like :Like :Like
Joe Jones
5 Star Elite Contributing Member
5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Joe Jones »

Magnets sure would be convenient. You could put a drop of super glue on each end and drop the magnets where you need them, and then carefully place the next layer onto the magnets. No clamps needed while the adhesive bonds! But there IS the issue of magnetic dust which will collect on the face over time, I guess.

If you get a stud welder from Harbor Freight Tools, you can locate spots where a threaded stud would attach to the rear of the front layer, and poke through a small hole in the layer behind it. Add one nut on the face of layer #2 to set spacing, and another nut on the back side of #2 to fasten it securely. A drop of super glue or Lok-Tite on the threads will keep it together.

If I get my hands on a good 3D printer, I will design something awesome to solve the layer mounting problems!

Joe

Franklin, KY., USA
Samson 510 & 4x4
6” Z Rail Lift Kit for PlasmaCam
CreatBot D600 PRO 3D Printer
12 Lasers
FREE DesignEdge Training!

It is more fun when it isn't necessary!

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”