Modifying table to accept square tubing

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
railmaker
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Modifying table to accept square tubing

Post by railmaker »

I have a Samson 510 and I would like to be able to cut square tubing up to 4". Has anybody modified a section of their table to accommodate that? Cutting the slats down or modifying it someway like that? I would rather not raise my gantry and rails if I don't have to. Any suggestions would surely be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Modifying table to accept square tubing

Post by adbuch »

I have a Plasmacam DHC2, and in the past I have removed the cutting grates and installed a special frame for mounting square tubing for cutting. The special frame has adjustable height, and I tack welded the cutting grate slats together so I can lift them out as an assembly. Of course I am limited in length to 4 ft. You could probably figure out a way to make part of your grate removable and do something similar.
David
railmaker
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by railmaker »

David, would you be able to send or post some pics of your set up? thanks
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

I will see if I can find any photos to share. It has been several years since I last used it, and it is not currently installed as I use the cutting grates 99% of the time. I could take some photos of the special frame by itself, as it is currently sitting out in another part of the shop.
David
railmaker
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by railmaker »

thank you David, anything would be of help. I appreciate your response. Scott
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

If you have the room what about a set of rail extensions where you could extend the gantry over the edge of the table?
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
railmaker
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by railmaker »

Yes, I thought of that after I messaged you! Great minds think alike. Now, where do you suppose I could get the same gear rack? I haven't checked and wouldn't know where to look. I am old school and am not up on all the in's and out's of the plasma game. I have heard not so good things about plasma cam themselves. Years ago, I dealt with George there and he was good to deal with, but I had read somewhere that he is not there anymore. If you know of anyone or anyone reading this could steer me to the description of the gear rack I need and even some extended tubing, although I could probably make that. thanks again from this old man just trying to cut some metal. Scott Vickrey
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

Why not just build an arm that hangs over the side of the table and attach it to your z? Then you can run your tubing beside your table. Don't need anything special to make this work.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

railmaker wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:54 pm Yes, I thought of that after I messaged you! Great minds think alike. Now, where do you suppose I could get the same gear rack? I haven't checked and wouldn't know where to look. I am old school and am not up on all the in's and out's of the plasma game. I have heard not so good things about plasma cam themselves. Years ago, I dealt with George there and he was good to deal with, but I had read somewhere that he is not there anymore. If you know of anyone or anyone reading this could steer me to the description of the gear rack I need and even some extended tubing, although I could probably make that. thanks again from this old man just trying to cut some metal. Scott Vickrey
The gear rack is available directly from Plasmacam.
David

https://owners-community.com/order_parts.php?sid=

Gear rack is steel, 20 DP, 20 deg pressure angle, 3/8 by 3/8 by 49 inch long. Machine has 3 gear racks: 1 on the gantry and 2 inside the rails. Replace if worn (indicated by rattling sound during motion). Shafts (with pinion gears) are usually replaced at the same time as gear racks, and both rail gear racks should be replaced at the same time.
Part #: D-141
Price: $29

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”