Tabs and slots

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
Drteachout
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Tabs and slots

Post by Drteachout »

Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to making designs with tabs and slots? I have a few ideas that I’d like to draw and incorporate tabs and slots into ones with 16 gauge other is 10 gauge. Just not sure the measurements I need to draw for them.
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Tabs and slots

Post by adbuch »

Just keep in mind that you need to leave enough clearance for the tab to fit into the slot. Typically 0.010" to 0.030" depending on your required fit-up and the accuracy of your parts.
David
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

I also like to make my tab length shorter than my material thickness. This allows me to plug weld the slot shut and grind flush but still leaves plenty of weld strength in the slot. On a 1/4" thick plate, I'll often make the tab between 1/8" and 3/16" long
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

bhamer62 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:20 pm I also like to make my tab length shorter than my material thickness. This allows me to plug weld the slot shut and grind flush but still leaves plenty of weld strength in the slot. On a 1/4" thick plate, I'll often make the tab between 1/8" and 3/16" long
That's a great tip! Thanks for sharing.
David

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”