Metabo Burnisher

Learn and share abrasive & texturing finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
chrisj380
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Metabo Burnisher

Post by chrisj380 »

Hope this is the right place for this. Has anyone here used the Metabo Burnisher for metal art work? Looking for a better way of grinding instead of using 4 1/2" grinder with 40 grit flap disc. It does the job but does a number on the back. The burnisher looks like it may be a little better to use for grinding and finishing. I've used acid but don't like it, still have to grind after anyways. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Chris
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Metabo Burnisher

Post by Capstone »

I've read up on the burnishing tools. For stainless steel finishing, these types of grinders, appear to be the best way to achieve a brushed finish unless you use a dedicated large scale finishing system. Mild steel, even when just putting a clear coat on, seems more forgiving to circular grinding. I always use Hot Rolled Steel so acid is a must IMO, to gently and effectively remove ALL of the mill scale to ensure proper finish adhesion and consistency. Yes, you still have to grind, my preference being with a fresh 120grit flap disk, in order to get to the shiny metal, but that's just the process.

The actual Metabo Brand hand tool along with the consumables are very expensive and if it were cost effective and produced a finish so much better that the average business could charge more to cover that cost, then everyone here would already be using them. Unless you're doing mostly Stainless steel, there's not much historical evidence to support their need in order to produce good looking pieces.

Working ergonomics to protect your back from repetitive stress is a whole other conversation, but a tall comfortable stool to sit on while grinding can alleviate long periods of standing and setting up your work space so you're not leaning over as much etc.

Good Luck
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I have been wanting to try one too but not at the cost.
There are eBay ones for $200 or less. Also thought about how to convert an angle grinder to be a burnished
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
chrisj380
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by chrisj380 »

Capstone,
Thanks so much for your advice. I'm going to reconsider. It's very expensive for sure. You've answered all my questions. I really appreciate it.
-Chris
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by grindergary »

I have one of the Metbo Burnishers. They are very expansive unless you have the customers for it.

I have done Stainless steel and using finer and finer wheels, the outcome is fantastic. The labor involved is quite a bit.

I have done mild steel with it and it will give a great look like brushed stainless but again, the labor involved is a lot. I have done a shelf/table with mild. Brushed it up and had 2 coats clear coat put on. Looked great. The cost was a lot too. I will post a picture of it when I get home.

If I were to do it over, I would not have spent the money on this burnisher. It works good for polishing but will not remove dross.

HTH

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

An impact hammer removes dross pretty quick :D
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
chrisj380
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by chrisj380 »

grindergary wrote:I have one of the Metbo Burnishers. They are very expansive unless you have the customers for it.

I have done Stainless steel and using finer and finer wheels, the outcome is fantastic. The labor involved is quite a bit.

I have done mild steel with it and it will give a great look like brushed stainless but again, the labor involved is a lot. I have done a shelf/table with mild. Brushed it up and had 2 coats clear coat put on. Looked great. The cost was a lot too. I will post a picture of it when I get home.

If I were to do it over, I would not have spent the money on this burnisher. It works good for polishing but will not remove dross.

HTH

Gary
Thanks, Gary
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

If I were to do it over, I would not have spent the money on this burnisher. It works good for polishing but will not remove dross.]
Recoupe some of your money and sell me that burnisher for a good price.!!!!
Yes, they are not made for removing dross but for other finished they can't be beat.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com

Return to “Abrasive & Texturing”