Transference of information..

Share tips and tricks regarding cut cutting, material handling, metal finishing, marketing, or anything you find helpful.
cstroke
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Transference of information..

Post by cstroke »

Transferring of information..
How do you guys do it?
I have a shop 100' from my house. I usually do my design work in the house and send it out using drop box.
I don't have a network yet.. I always seem to struggle with organizing pictures and sending them to the computer..
Do you guys use a file host for pics etc...
Throw out what works for you, my stuff works but it's a bit of a mess..
Anything with the transference of data...
Thoughts??? Even if you don't think it's what I'm asking for send out your thoughts it might help someone else...
Server ideas and creating a network???

Thanks in advance..
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Transference of information..

Post by djreiswig »

Thumb drive
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
adbuch
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by adbuch »

Same here. I use a thumb drive (usb). I normally do design work in my office, and then copy the file to the thumb drive and walk out to the machine shop and copy to the hard drive on one of my control computers.
David
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

dito on the Thumb drive, the sizes they have they are hard to fill, easy to category files into folders, have the same folder ID on the CNC computer for file separation. have optional attachments on my table so I can have a folder for router files, another for drag knife, and scribe work, now laser files.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Funny I have a wifi setup in the house, I can see it in the shop but cannot connect. I can also see other networks in the hood, password protected so don't know if I could connect. But I did find it odd that I could see them as their distance is farther then my home is. May look into a better Wifi modem to see if I could connect to my network. thumb drive still works great :Like
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
ROKCRLER

Post by ROKCRLER »

I was using thumb drive but now i just use it for backup copy.
OneDrive is great... before i had internet at the shop i would use my phones hotspot.
4x8 Dynatorch
PM85
~Mo~
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

I have had and used powerline plugs for my home network for some time.

They have been / had some varied success over the years, I am now on my 3rd set of powerline adapters and I must say that the current ones have been absolutly briliant.

I almost put in a very powerful directional wifi modem system that was recommended to me with very good coverage but I did not want to mount anything outside my house, drilling holes in walls etc. Done it before, just did not want to do it again as getting the wifi with POE would have been a pain internally and not a neat install. Hence powerline adapters would be my first recommendation, then directional wifi which has a VERY long range.

These are what I use at present, they are not cheap and I am in the UK so you will need to get the ones with the right plug as we use a 13A square pin type and I know you guys in the US use another oddball shape of plug at 110V.

(Nope I did not pay these costs and got them via ebay over a slow period of time at a much lower cost):
https://www.devolo.co.uk/magic-2-wifi-6 ... /multiroom

The powerline adapters have actually provided good coverage over my entire property inside and outside as I have CCTV too + 3d printer and a laser cutter that are on the network too (via octopi / octoprint) with their own cameras monitoring those devices too.

for wifi these are the ones that are recommended there is an "M2" and an "M5" (2ghz / 5ghz) variant, you will need two for point to point comms. Ubiquity also offer a lot of other options for external wifi (I spent a lot of timegoing through their range and selecting the right items to improve my coverage {before settling on the powerline adapters listed above})
https://store.ui.com/collections/operat ... nostation2
https://store.ui.com/collections/operat ... station-m5

here is a wiring guide for them, you can mix and match items a bit
https://dl.ui.com/qsg/NanoStationM_Nano ... oM_EN.html

you can also get a long range wireless access point, but in my case I had a house that would be inbetween it and my remote garage (100' away) hence I almost gave it a go: https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi- ... s/u6-lr-us

they also offer mesh options..... for external wifi coverage too.... like I said a lot of options.
https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless

there are youtube clips I took a look at too to try to aide in choosing devices and costing up options etc.
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

I have 4 computers that I work from and my shop is about 100 yards from my home. I have internet at home and shoot my internet to my shop from home. I can connect to any computer from any computer and send files back and forth. If I'm in my home office working on a design I can send it to my shop office computer in less than a second. If I get to the shop and forget a file at home I can download it in less than a second from my home computer. I have a computer running 2 lasers and another running a plasma table and send files between all of them. Works great for me but it can be a headache to set up if your not familiar with computer networking.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

LAN both hard wired and WIFI, I can dump files to cut then reorganize files from the office as needed.
rdj357
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by rdj357 »

Hardwired LAN to the shop and added remote access point for wi-fi devices out there as well. I use OneDrive and it works extremely well for us between a retail store in town, home, and the shop.
cstroke

Post by cstroke »

I use drop box to get files out to the shop, have a cat 5 cable running from house to a splitter then to a router as a slave..
it works but I think I'd rather create a network of some sort.
My stuff is a mess, I don't like automatically uploading to the cloud etc.
6’x12’ Dynatorch powermax 85
12’ Wysong brake
5’x 5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ shear
65 Ton ironworker
Boss laser 3655 150 watt CO2.
SFX 100watt Mopa
Quicncy 7.5hp
Square wave tig, Multimatics, Miller bobcat efi.
SegoMan DeSigns

Do your research on networking, plenty of vids on Y/T. Just search by the OS for each machine and have at it.
I have shortcuts on my desktop for each machine, just click and the files open. Sync software is a good & easy backup
plasmanewbie

Post by plasmanewbie »

I use OneDrive. Just save my design on my PC, OneDrive automatically backs it up and I can access that file from anywhere on any device provided I have an internet connection. To get an internet connection to my shop I have a WiFi repeater in the shop. This setup works really well, my only beef is sometimes it takes longer than I would like for the file to show up in OneDrive on the shop PC. If I am being impatient or have a bad internet day I will just use a USB thumb drive to transfer the file.
mcgillprop
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by mcgillprop »

I have a server on the network. all my computers can see them. Ran ethernet to my linux at the plasma table.

I have a folder named CUSTOMERS open it up, and I have 26 folders A to Z. I sort them by last name and work in each folder.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by mcgillprop on Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SegoMan DeSigns

:Like :Like :Like :Like

Return to “Tech Tips From Other Members”