Other's designs

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Other's designs

Post by RobertJohnson »

I have to ask, I have a friend that wants me to make a project for them. We live a 1000 miles apart. They saw something they liked at a farmers market or whatever, and took a pic of the piece to be made. I think they think the metal artist is asking too much for the piece so they're asking me what I would charge?

I told them I would need to know how big the piece is, and that I would have to changethe design up out of respect to the designer. I guess I'm asking, what would you do? I'm going to make a sun dial stands 3 ft tall and is 2-3 ft in diameter. I'm going to make it so it can be pieced together like a puzzle. Would you even try to make it or would you pass? I'm curious to know what the person is asking before I give a qoute. But I really don't care if I get this project or not. I often get requests where I think people just want dirt cheap or free. But I'm curious, what would you do?
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Other's designs

Post by tnbndr »

I would ask what the artist was charging and then tell them it is probably worth every penny, that I would probably charge more than that. I personally will not copy someone elses' design or project.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobertJohnson »

I don't want to copy the design, but I will have to make it very similar. My design will be something the customer can put together. The design they saw was a solid, welded piece. I was hoping to save them some money if I shipped individual pieces. I'm also changing the top design up too, also trying to convince them that it would be nicer if they personalized it with their likes a little too. I like unique, hopefully they can be somewhat unique as well. I really don't think this deal is going to happen, just wondered what others do in situations like this. ;)
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

How do you charge for your other work? I would charge the same for this as I would any other project. If they are a good friend and you want to give a "friend discount" then that's up to you. I have seen some nice sun dial files on this site. If you haven't looked at them do a search for sun dial and they should show up. They should be easily customizable. I wouldn't try to price match somebody who is 1000 miles away. Actually I don't try to price match anybody. I try to do good quality work with good quality materials and charge a fair price. And as far as knowing what the other person is asking before you give a quote, I wouldn't worry about what they are charging. Just quote it like somebody walked in your shop and ordered it.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
RobertJohnson
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by RobertJohnson »

Thanks MD, I have a huge deal coming in the very near future. I should be sitting with the owners this week, and I will keep a lot of this in mind. ;)

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”