Advertising Ideas

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
SomethingMetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Advertising Ideas

Post by SomethingMetal »

How do you guys advertise for your business? I have done a couple of shows but have yet to really do any good from them. Seems to me word of mouth has been my best friend when it comes to getting work. I am going to do an ad in the local paper in the next month or so. The paper run an article every Friday about new local businesses. Just curious to what you guy do to promote your business.
Samson 510
Hypertherm PM85
jmsrbrt
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Advertising Ideas

Post by jmsrbrt »

Internet presence...been a little slow at first, but now many people have found us. Plus word-of-mouth and a couple of craft shows helped.
Torchmate 2 with ATHC & Water table
Corel 12, Turbo Cad
TD Cutmaster 51
San Marcos, Texas
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Just a few suggestions:

Make a few pet related items that you can donate to a local animal group to be auctioned off at a public forum, ie... doggie parade, fund raiser for animal shelters . . .

Free publicity & people with pets have money and they will spend it . . .

Do a piece for the lobby of an upscale daycare center . . . you now have a "working woman" audience . . . something as simple as one of the many "Child's Prayer" plaques . . .

A lot of restaurants will allow you to put art work on their walls if it goes with their decor . . .

I try to think of it as a bunch of "mini billboards" strategically placed . . .

As to the newspaper, try to figure out a way to do something of interest . . . Pick something like a Boys Scout Troop . . . can't have that many in your area . . . Make them a sign to go over their DEN door . . Someone wanting to do something for the scouts always gets attention . . . a "INTERVIEW" done by the paper will bring you more attention than any paid ad will . . .

You think businesses do this sort of thing without at least some hopes of attention for their business . .

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
SomethingMetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by SomethingMetal »

I have donated a few pieces also. Getting some views just not much input.
Samson 510
Hypertherm PM85
kbenz
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by kbenz »

I've done most of mine through facebook also. over 1000 likes? damn.............
stdave66

Post by stdave66 »

I don't plan on doing any more craft shows, usually seems to be just a social event for people. Lots of looking and interest but not much $$$ crossing the table. Most of my sales are word of mouth. Have done some donations to two VFWs that have also generated some sales.
plasmajoe
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmajoe »

I agree with CNCCAJUN he has great ways to get known and generate work. I am a strong believer in donations, they work. I donate alot to schools and hospitals (cancer centers, and children's wards). At the begining it was not really paying off to good, but hang in there and you will get know quick enough, then the work will come in that you will have too much to do it all. As far as shows go, personally I have great luck with them. I will let you in on a secret, since I am retiring soon, :) most people go to real busy shows and popular ones, but go to the not so known ones and county fairs they are the money makers for you. Try one out you will see. 90% of my sales come from fairs after a few years of "getting known" out there. If you start to go to the little shows and fairs, there are next to no competitor for you to battle with.

Hope this helps you out.

Plasma Joe
pdjcutandfab
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by pdjcutandfab »

I agree with facebook as well, we have almost 500 likes for our page! People need to see what you can do to buy into it, the more you can show them the better!

We also belong to our local chamber of commerce which has been phenomenal with providing us with free opportunites for advertising. They offer coupons, weekly tidbits, business features, business after hours, listings/links on their website and more.

We have hosted several events at our shop including vendor fairs (gets people in the door) fundraisers etc. Has been really great to get people (esp. ladies) in the shop to see what we can do. The majority of our customers are women shopping for gifts for family members, husbands etc. Charge a few bucks for a table (we usually do $10 per table and donate all that to charity), clean out the shop, get all the vendors to invite their customers and walla, you have a few hundred people in your shop! (door prizes and food help)

We also take advantage of free news releases through our local papers.

It's a lot of work to get your name out there but if you keep up a constant presence it will help.

Just my two cents!
Deanne Weier
PDJ Cutting and Fabriating

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”