Canadian Price check

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Owens Customs
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Canadian Price check

Post by Owens Customs »

Hey Everybody,

Just getting into the plasma cutting world here. Trying to figure out the excel pricing sheet ( graciously provided here ) with my first job.
Little more difficult considering currency exchange. So I figured I'd ask what Canadian members would charge for this simple job.

14 pieces - 3/8" mild steel 6" x 6" with 4 holes 9/16" in diameter.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan Owens
Dan Owens

5x10 FastCut CNC Icon Elite plasma table
Hypertherm 85
TurboCad,SheetCam,Mach3
Shapeoko3 CNC Router
and all the usual welders and tools to run a Fabrication shop.
grindergary
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Canadian Price check

Post by grindergary »

I charge $14.80 each cad for my customers.

HTH

Gary
4x8 Home made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
4x8 Home Router made with Precision Plasma LLC. Gantry
Candcnc DHCTII Electronics
Hypertherm Powermax 105 machine torch
Sheetcam, Mach 3
Corel Draw 8, V Carve Pro
Miller CTS 280 Miller Mig
rikduk
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by rikduk »

13$ cad each, for 14.

I'm in southern Quebec

Richard
Owens Customs
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Owens Customs »

Thanks Guys,

I wasn't too far off then, at $12.48 each.
Dan Owens

5x10 FastCut CNC Icon Elite plasma table
Hypertherm 85
TurboCad,SheetCam,Mach3
Shapeoko3 CNC Router
and all the usual welders and tools to run a Fabrication shop.
Dennis
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dennis »

Yup.. Right on the money , I would charge 12.50 each
Roman
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Roman »

you guys charge more than me, 14x12.5 =$175, its only 4 square feet of plate , =$25 I would do itfor $5 each, $25 for plate and 1/2 hour @$85X.5 =$42.5
theonlybull
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by theonlybull »

i'm still pricing by the seat of my pants, and gut feeling, but i would have guessed around $14 plus tax. i figure table time, at the book value cut speed @ 150$/hr, plus material, that usually gets me pretty close
twelve02customs
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by twelve02customs »

Yea I am pretty new too, however I am developing costs per square foot and then I break that down to square inch (divide by 144). In the background I keep in mind what I think the cost should based on similar jobs, etc. For this one I did nothing different. I priced a suitable piece of plate from my steel provider (Have no 3/8 PL around, for this I used a piece of 8" FB that measured 8' long, guessing $30?) and I measured the work as per the original post. My multiplier for .375" steel is $30/sq foot (haven't done a lot of .375" so this is also a guess). So....the pieces are 6"x6" (what they get billed for is 8"x6", cause I can't use the cut offs at all), that equals 48". Its already in square inches so you multiply that by cost per square foot factor, which I have arbitrarily set at $30.(it's the # I have determined the market I am in is okay with), you arrive at 1440, divide that by (square inches/foot) 144, you arrive at $10. $10/piece. The CAD time in this one is irrelevant. Its a square with 4 holes, snapped into position I am thinking 15 min? Make a linear pattern of 14, zero all axis on the steel and push go.

That means I am lower than you guys, completely non intentional. What it also means is that this job gets assessed for due date. I don't just run out for steel every time a job comes in. I coordinate my efforts as best as possible so I am keeping jobs close to each other. I also don't mind leaving a bit on the table as part of establishing a fair price (which clients talk about). So this job overall netted me $140 plus tax, probably took an hour total, less material. I'd assess after this job doing a quick aftermath, asking....was that fair to me? Was it worth the time? Have I created a return customer.

In the end, I am focused on the long term. I'm not doing this for fun or a hobby. I will in fact make mistakes, but that's all apart of it IMO.

Disclaimer - I guessed on the cost of steel and went from there. If I knew the actual cost to be higher I would adjust. So really it's a mish mash system. Works for me. Course I am totally willing to learn your guy's methods to perhaps improve mine.
Joe Peterson
4'x8' TM 2 Water Table
TD A80
Flashcut CAD/CAM/CNC
Eastwood QST 30/60 Scroll Comp
ESAB Rebel 215ic
levesquea
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by levesquea »

My formula is the following. (My opinion)
Shop rate is 75$/hr (that includes all my expenses for the shop and my salary)
Hours spent Designing parts i charge 50$/hr
So for a given job I add the material cost, my hours worked in design @ 50$, the actual plasma cutting @ 75$.hr + 30% profit margin.
The actual 75$/hour covers my hourly wage(40$/hr) plus the shop expenses averaging per hour (25$). Thats based on a 160hrs/month worked.
That includes electricity, insurance,rent, consumables, tooling, misc.
i figure in order to grow a business, one needs to pay himself and add a profit margin. Otherwise you are chasing your tail.
that's my opinion.
i just added powdercoating to my services...so I'm struggling to price that part....if any have some input i would appreciate.
Plasmacam 4x4
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Everlast power Tig 255
Affinity Designer
Alibre expert
Vectric Aspire 10

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”