Selling Unfinished Projects

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Selling Unfinished Projects

Post by BanksAg »

Anyone have any thoughts or advice one way or the other on selling unfinished/unpainted projects? I've always been of the mindset that anything we produce and sell should be a finished, complete, professional product. We're simply not set up well enough to do much painting, and being a school there are a ton of hoops to jump through to try and get set-up to have someone else paint or powder coat for us. We've had several requests for signs like this one that we designed last year. When I've mentioned our painting challenges, I've had several people tell me that they are fine painting their own. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Tim

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Tim Eggleston
Banks High School
Banks, OR

Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45XP
Mach 3, SheetCam
Inkscape, Rhino 3D
SegoMan DeSigns
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Selling Unfinished Projects

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

I am currently not set up to PC either so I tell my customers to do that on their own. This saves them money as I don't apply up charges and / or charge for millage, more importantly it puts the color decisions on them and the finish warranty is between them and the PC shop.
djreiswig
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by djreiswig »

I sell it to them however they want to purchase it. If they want to handle the finish work, fine with me. That's the part I don't really care for anyway. I more enjoy the design and cutting. I just adjust the price accordingly.
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)
Ironken
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Ironken »

Depending on volume, have you considered partnering with a coating shop....maybe finding out their pricing structure for your most popular sizes. This way you can have the groundwork laid out for the customer and an approximate price. If you move enough product, you may be able to angle for a price break that you can make the customers aware of.
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

Most people don't own a cnc plasma table. Almost anybody can go buy a can of paint. 99% of the products I produce are sold/shipped bare metal. When I advertise an item I state that it is delivered bare metal and they can be painted, powder coated or some people like the rustic look and leave them bare. I stay busy enough that I don't have time to paint.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
BanksAg
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by BanksAg »

Thanks for the input guys. So far the demand for unfinished signs has been much greater than I expected.
Tim Eggleston
Banks High School
Banks, OR

Arc Pro 4800
PowerMax 45XP
Mach 3, SheetCam
Inkscape, Rhino 3D
4eleven
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by 4eleven »

I've been wondering the same thing. Thanks guys for posting your thoughts on this subject.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”