ACT Insurance

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

ACT Insurance

Post by Paint Chip »

Does anybody here use ACT Insurance? Can you relate your experience with them? Ever had to make a claim? $265 for one year is a great price for what they offer, unless they don't pay out legitimate claims in a timely fashion. Any feedback is appreciated.
PPLLC 4X8 table w 620 ox steppers on 5 axes
Bladerunner CandCNC w/DTHC II
Hypertherm PM85
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: ACT Insurance

Post by Paint Chip »

Well, either no one uses these guys or perhaps no one wants to comment on them. Let me re-phrase the question: what to you all do for insurance coverage to be able to sell items? My home owners Co. wanted about $100/month, which is just too steep for a hobby business. I plan to do a couple arts festivals a year and have a local gift shop carry a few pieces - not enough meat on the bone for $1200/yr. ACT (Artists/Craftsmen/Tradesmen) and SIA (Specialty Insurance Agency) seem to be the only two out there that are affordable.
Hypertherm PM85
conz35
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by conz35 »

We have a Commercial account onto our Allstate homeowners and auto policy. We pay $900 a year for 2,000,0000 liability and 3,000,000 aggregate coverage which covers the shows we hit. Unlimited certificates. We also have $50,000 in tool coverage.
A lot of shows offer a certificate or a buy out of it but most still run $100 each.
Hope that helps,
Mike
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Paint Chip »

Thanks for the reply. Is there a reason you don't use either of the ins. cos. I listed? The coverage seems pretty comparable, except for the tool coverage, at a much lower price - which is what concerns me a little. I hate to be such a "tire kicker" on this topic - but its obviously an important one. Again, thanks for your input.
Hypertherm PM85
conz35
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by conz35 »

To be honest I never really checked into them, But one of my biggest concerns was tool coverage in case of theft or damage, etc. Our problem is we travel with a mobile setup so if we get in a accident and damage the equipment our collision policy only pays out so much on contents, thats why we added the tool coverage/contents to cover the plasma table, powder coat oven, welder, or any finished product, etc. Honestly, If your not traveling with equipment and just need show coverage then I think you would be fine going with ACT.
"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
Paint Chip
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Paint Chip »

That makes sense. For now, I'm retired - doing this more as a hobby than anything and don't plan on dragging any tools around with me. I wasn't sure if they covered art sold in local gift shops on consignment or art sold by direct request, but they tell me they do. As I'm just starting out, I think their coverage is adequate for me - at $265/yr, it fits my budget and if the business takes off I can always upgrade. Thanks again for your input and advise.
Hypertherm PM85
ColoradoWayne
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by ColoradoWayne »

Based on the lack of response, I tend to assume most people don't have insurance. I too am curious on what people think about insurance. How many people actually get insurance for the shows or your business in general?
Wayne
LDR Motion Systems 4 x 4 water table
Hypertherm Powermax 65
MrsSavage
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by MrsSavage »

I use ACT for events such as truck shows. I don't sell my metal at shows. I cannot add additional insured to my automotive repair shop "garage insurance" policy. I have never had to make a claim. I have also never been to an event as a vendor (for my shop) that didn't require insurance. They seem to be a good company. Ive used them for the past 5 years.
MrsSavage

Post by MrsSavage »

I use ACT for events such as truck shows. I don't sell my metal at shows. I cannot add additional insured to my automotive repair shop "garage insurance" policy. I have never had to make a claim. I have also never been to an event as a vendor (for my shop) that didn't require insurance. They seem to be a good company. Ive used them for the past 5 years.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”