Small’s, larges or jobs...

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Small’s, larges or jobs...

Post by whiskeymike »

Looking to increase sales and I’m curious if you guys are doing best with smalls, larges, or custom jobs. I’d categorize smalls as smaller items, say less than a $100-$150 could be art, functional,etc.. cut in quantities, larges might be bigger items like fire rings/BBQ, tools, etc.. and jobs would be custom jobs cut to order like parts for a farmer, signs or specific art for one time sale.

I have a day job so this is nights and weekends and trying to figure out if I should focus on making things in quantity, or things with more fab, or potentially custom work. Trying to balance profitability and labor related to working with customer, sales, etc...

So what’s working for you best?
Doc Hollywood
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Small’s, larges or jobs...

Post by Doc Hollywood »

I think your "smalls" are still on the big side. Smalls, are Non customization single layer single finish items, that you can make in batches with high efficiency. To me, these would be price anywhere from $25 and up to $100. I wont do a custom item under $75. Look at the stuff RedLine steel puts out, he's changing the price landscape of the cnc plasma business. He also does not do custom work anymore, he's a production shop.
Old Iron
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Old Iron »

Biggest issue with custom is, you spend most of your time with the customer designing. That part is hard to charge enough for.
I done a lot of custom signs when I started and have since quit.
Quantity items need an outlet to be profitable.
I seem to do better with production items from a customer that is on going. Try to find a company or person that will be a return customer for income and do customs in between production parts runs.
You can partner up with a person who deals in smalls too. You cut they sell, they will know your market.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

Our money is in production parts. We do make some signs, etc., but that doesn't compare to the production end.

Allen
beefy
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by beefy »

Old Iron wrote:Biggest issue with custom is, you spend most of your time with the customer designing. That part is hard to charge enough for.
I done a lot of custom signs when I started and have since quit.
Yep, I have little interest in dealing with CUSTOM-ERS (sorry, crap joke I know). It's amazing how many people expect you to put in a lot of time for free. And as I have experienced in business, when a customer knows they don't have to pay for something, they try and get more of it.

Personally I would just inform the customer the design time is chargeable too. There are many industries out there where the business is paid for their time and knowledge. Why should this one be any different.

Graphic designers, architects, interior designers, etc, etc all get paid for their design work only. So should we.
2500 x 1500 water table
Powermax 1250 & Duramax torch (because of the new $$$$ync system, will buy Thermal Dynamics next)
LinuxCNC
Sheetcam
Alibre Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw 2019
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Yes we should Beefy. and I DO!

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
KMcCurdy
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by KMcCurdy »

When I first started making custom items, I would not charge design time. Then you realize you have 4-5 hours of design time on a job that you are working on and never get paid for. I now charge for artwork and design at same rate as if I'm making their items.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”