Question regarding business card ideas

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Question regarding business card ideas

Post by motoguy »

I need business cards. A significant issue I've come across, is letting people know WHAT it is that I can do. The general public doesn't know what plasma cutting is, and even businesses seem to be locked to a single idea or two. Invariably, the first thing mentioned gets stuck in their mind, and that's "what you do". You mention axle brake brackets, you're a "car parts guy", and the business that needs signage ignores you. You mention signage, and you're the "sign guy", and the fabricator ignores you. You mention "wall art", and everyone thinks craft shows.

Example: My neighbor. We were visiting last night, when he tells me: "When you first told me what you could do, I had no idea what plasma cutting was. When you told me, I said 'Oh, yeah, that's neat stuff', because I didn't want to sound like a dumbass. You said yard ornaments, so I thought 'Oh, he can cut flamingos and stuff. Good luck with that.' Now that I see some of the different things you can do, this is awesome!"

I was showing him the mock up of an original design last night, and he was very excited about it. He owns his own business, which caters to the upscale clientele in the area, and this design is based on a dock requirement here at the lake. His words: "My clients would eat these up. I'll be happy to hand out brochures or flyers or something for you. Once one of them has it, the others are going to want it too."

I'm trying to come up with a business card design that can convey capabilities, without being too busy or overwhelmed. I'm thinking it will involve photos of some cut artwork, as well as photos of more "industrial" cut pieces. While not these exact photos, I'm thinking something like this:

and something like this:

Unlike a web site, where you can add additional images, links, etc, I think a business card needs to be extremely economical in conveying who you are, and what you can do. I also see business cards being left at businesses (Airgas, steel supply shops, welding shops, fab shops, etc, signage, etc), whereas the general public may be exposed more via Craigslist/Facebook/Etsy/Pinterest/something their neighbor purchased.

Those of you who feel you've created a successful business card design, I'm curious what you've done to convey your capabilities in this somewhat oddball area we operate in.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
GDS Metal Worx
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Question regarding business card ideas

Post by GDS Metal Worx »

Look into 2 sided printing on your cards. Do a nice full color logo or images on the front with name, address, phone number email and suck. The back you could do wording that tells everything that you do, make it a nice font and do bullets between the items. I have done that on cards before and it actually brought me more work because the guy that wants something cool for his wife to hang on the wall will see the back and think "My work could use you to cut brackets for our assembly process" or something like that
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Instead of a business card which will get tossed onto a counter somewhere or thrown out, how about a nice tri fold brochure? This way you get a ton and a half more exposure, more explanation, full color pictures of your work and your machine and it folds down small enough to stuff in a purse or carry around.

I use 4colorprint.com for my business cards (which I give out very rarely and really don't use much) and the brochures which have paid for themselves immediately after purchasing them time and time and time again!!! Cost = 1000 8.5" x 11"brochures, front and back full color print, Z-folded high gloss UV coating....... only $445.00. Just a little more than full color high quality business cards.

https://4colorprint.com/print/8.5x11-Brochures
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

I have double-sided business card and I've tried the 1/3 sheet glossy stock two-sided brochures as well. I leave my cards at the metal supplier and welding supplier and have had pretty good luck with referrals. I think its much more important where you put the cards and who your contacts are that promote your business than the actual card itself. just my opinion. My cards don't say much, but they are bold with large fonts and get noticed across a room.
bizcards.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”