Vinyl cutters

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Vinyl cutters

Post by Scratch »

Does anyone here have a vinyl cutter for cutting out graphics to apply to steel signs or stuff? I'm thinking about getting one but want to make sure it will be able to use .cdr files.

Any input?
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
Gogitter
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Re: Vinyl cutters

Post by Gogitter »

Not to change the subject but...Where the Hell have you been????

Nice to see you back...carry on...
CandCNC Electronic
Hypertherm Powermax1000
Mach 3
Sheetcam
CorelDrawx5
LDR 4X8 table
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

If you do a search here for drag knife it will show some posts that will help.
Both Sean P and I have one and have used it for different projects great addition for you table.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
littlefatbuddy
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by littlefatbuddy »

I bought an expert Lx 24 a few years back. I use it all the time for different things. It comes with cut software that can convert .cdr no problem. I think I paid around $400 with a stand. I love it.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Gogitter wrote:Not to change the subject but...Where the Hell have you been????

Nice to see you back...carry on...
I don't do much metalwork anymore, I was in an accident about 4 years ago and get dizzy real easily... I still have all my stuff though, and do some stuff for friends, and gifts and stuff.

I was thinking about getting one of those smaller tabletop vinyl cutters because I want to cut some letters and stuff.

I also say the word "stuff" a lot.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

her2 is some of what I did
controller package (1).JPG
DSCN0998.JPG
DSCN1095.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I bought one for the wife from here...
http://www.uscutter.com/

They were very good to work with and had some excellent prices.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I have a very small one. Silhouette portrait. About $150
Love that thing. Never used a cdr file but I can look
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Maybe I'll look into those Roland type cutting blades... I saw a couple threads on here now about them. Time to do some research... Ugh...
I don't quite get those blades though...
I understand that they kind of float under their own, or added weight, but do they just spin freely allowing it to be drug along the vinyl, with the sharp edge on the trailing edge, it spins as it needs to, on turns...?

It sure seems like a better way to go, I'd just need a mount, the blades, and a big piece of glass for the table right? I can use my own familiar software and table. Anything else I'm missing?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Yes the cutter does float across the vinyl but the blade is adjustable to only cut the vinyl itself not the backer paper. Any smooth surface will work like MDF board. I use SheetCam and my own DIY 4X4 table draw thing with Inkscape to cut.
This post shows mine.
http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... fe#p100128
Roland blades and holders are on eBay good prices.
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
dr.dirty
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by dr.dirty »

I have a SUMMA D120 that I use for decals. Great machine and very useful.
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

If you are doing items that are 11" x 11" or smaller you might want to check out the Cricut Explore Air for under $300.00. I have one and it works great for smaller vinyl, paper, card stock, foil, cloth and even light leather.

Vinyl cutters have special algorithms to control the cutting path. A CNC plasma or router table is not quite the same beast to get a good quality repeatable vinyl cut but apparently some have had some luck.
SeanP
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by SeanP »

Bigdogbro1 wrote: Vinyl cutters have special algorithms to control the cutting path. A CNC plasma or router table is not quite the same beast to get a good quality repeatable vinyl cut but apparently some have had some luck.
You are right enough there, it depends on how critical you are, I was surprised just how well it does turn out using the table, guess if yo had the magnifying glass you would see the corners were not quite sharp, fine otherwise I would say.
Using 1mm lead in/out, peeling off the waste was perfect no hint of bad cuts.
IMG_3708.JPG
IMG_5275.JPG
P1010218.JPG

Powermax XP45
Home built table, Candcnc DTHC 2, Dragoncut 620-4
R-Tech 210 Tig, Jasic 250 mig
Sheetcam, Scanything, Coreldraw
Table build gallery
WyoGreen
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by WyoGreen »

I picked up a Silhouette Cameo a while back so I could cut vinyl masking for some of the powder coating I'm doing. It's easy to use, has great software (the software does a great job of tracing bitmap files, but does not export to vector files), and takes up a small corner of my desk. I thought about going the knife on the plasma table route, but decided I'd rather sit in a nice comfy chair in my nice warm office while cutting the vinyl. :D

I've ended up using the cutter for all kinds of things, business signs for the company car, shop sign on the window glass of the shop, etc. Also, there is a plugin available for CorelDraw that let's you cut straight from CorelDraw to the cutter.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

WyoGreen wrote:I picked up a Silhouette Cameo a while back so I could cut vinyl masking for some of the powder coating I'm doing. It's easy to use, has great software (the software does a great job of tracing bitmap files, but does not export to vector files), and takes up a small corner of my desk. I thought about going the knife on the plasma table route, but decided I'd rather sit in a nice comfy chair in my nice warm office while cutting the vinyl. :D

I've ended up using the cutter for all kinds of things, business signs for the company car, shop sign on the window glass of the shop, etc. Also, there is a plugin available for CorelDraw that let's you cut straight from CorelDraw to the cutter.

Steve
I have the smaller one but still love it. The tracing on the software is amazing. I am wondering if the paid for version will export a vector because it traces images in seconds.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

gamble wrote:
WyoGreen wrote:I picked up a Silhouette Cameo a while back so I could cut vinyl masking for some of the powder coating I'm doing. It's easy to use, has great software (the software does a great job of tracing bitmap files, but does not export to vector files), and takes up a small corner of my desk. I thought about going the knife on the plasma table route, but decided I'd rather sit in a nice comfy chair in my nice warm office while cutting the vinyl. :D

Steve
I have the smaller one but still love it. The tracing on the software is amazing. I am wondering if the paid for version will export a vector because it traces images in seconds.
I upgraded to the paid version to be able to import .svg files, but still no vector export. There is a way to export to .pdf's that is of some use, but still not vector graphics.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Any other things that make the upgrade worth it? Will it zoom in and out smoother? That is my gripe
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

gamble wrote:Any other things that make the upgrade worth it? Will it zoom in and out smoother? That is my gripe
I only used the free version a couple of times just to check it out prior to receiving my cutter, so it's hard for me to compare the two. I remember there being a comparison chart on the web site that listed the differences. The zoom is my gripe also, I'm used to using my mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out, so having to click a button is the pits.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
motoguy

Post by motoguy »

I've decided to get a dedicated vinyl cutter, vs trying to use the plasma table in this capacity. I'm looking for a sub $400 cutter. I will be cutting vinyl for masking use, which I'll use on my powdercoat products/projects. Most of these products will be 48"x48" or less in total size.

I use CorelDrawX7 for my design work, and I'm familiar with creating vector images.

I was going to purchase a Cameo 3, but I'm looking at other options in that price range. USCutter Laserpoint II, Vinyl Express R31, USCutter MH or SC. I see the USC Titan 15" is $495, which is more than I'm wanting to spend. However, if it's leaps and bounds, heads and shoulders better than anything else, maybe.

I'm curious what feedback you may have for the units in this price range. I cannot justify breaking the price barrier I've set, so I won't be going with a Roland, Graphtec, etc at this time. Maybe later, once the low-cost unit proves it's worth, but not now.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
marcnaz
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by marcnaz »

I got a 34" US Cutter SC with a stand for pretty cheap (3 years ago next month). Look on EBAY, or their website and they also sell refurbished cutters. I paid $297 including shipping, and a stand with the rollers. The refurbished as far as I could tell was new in the box. I've cut heat press vinyl for hundreds of t-shirts, polo shirts, sports uniforms etc. Also quite a lot of standard vinyl for graphics and banners. I was concerned that the lower priced model wouldn't last or work well, but since I don't use it for a day to day business, thought I'd try one. Glad I did. I have had no issues or problems whatsoever other than a damaged USB port plug/board. which they shipped out promptly for no cost. I had a small crikit cutter previously. Don't get one of the really small ones, you'll just need or wish you had a larger cutter if you do, go with at least a 25".
mdwalker

Post by mdwalker »

This is where I get all of my cutters and supplies. They are a nationwide company but just happen to be within driving distance of me.
https://www.signwarehouse.com
Danny
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

I have a US Cutter 34" (30" cut width) MH871-MK2 ($340) vinyl cutter and it seems to work pretty good. Not top OTL by any means but for cutting masks and larger store window projects it will work well. I also have the floor stand for it. I use 24" wide vinyl rolls. I use "Sir Cuts A lot" standalone PC software because I got this cutter for free w/o the software. The SCAL software also works with .SVG type files compatible with the Cricut. The US Cutter has a sign length limit of around 5ft to 8ft. (depending on the sign complexity) based on the amount of machine memory on the controller board. Do your research on these machines and watch Youtube videos.

http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-Ser ... t-Software

I also have a Cricut Explore Air and that thing will cut out a circle the size of a pin head, .035". The Cricut needs to be used with its ONLINE software. The Cricut will cut up to just under 12"x12" or 12"x24" size using their adhesive mats. The better cut quality machines will give you much better corner cuts and consistent depth cuts, so when you peel off (weeding) the scrap vinyl it won't pull off the wanted vinyl or have uncut spots catching.

This 4" tall six color vinyl sticker was cut on the Cricut. The registration got off a bit when I was building the sticker layers. I highly doubt you could do this small of a sticker on my US Cutter at this quality.

rdj357

Post by rdj357 »

Bigdogbro1 wrote: This 4" tall six color vinyl sticker was cut on the Cricut. The registration got off a bit when I was building the sticker layers. I highly doubt you could do this small of a sticker on my US Cutter at this quality.
I have a US cutter Titan 3 with servo drive. It was much more $ than the one you mentioned BUT I regularly cut details down to thousandths of an inch. It all depends on what you want to do and what you want to pay for. Lots of people in the vinyl cup business are using the cricut stuff but I've found that I'm able to get details that most of them don't.

Here's a sticker I cut to do a vinyl pull on a powder coated cup. Sorry the transfer paper is over it still, I decided the lines were actually too fine and made them a little more bold for the one I used.
20170518_143417.jpg

Bigdogbro1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Bigdogbro1 »

Nice cut!!! But like you said, more than $300.
mrbuildit
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mrbuildit »

we have a cricut explore air. I can use the basics on it and have cut tons of lettering. I need to figure out how to import my dxf files to turn some of cut pieces into full vinyl decals. the machine was on sale at menards like a year ago for 199.99. it has definitely been worth the investment. my wife uses for quite of bit of acid etching on glassware also.

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”