Price for finishing?

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
jlansaw
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Price for finishing?

Post by jlansaw »

So I have a grip on pricing for my plasma cutting. Not sure how to figure price for cleaning, polishing and preparing finishes I apply myself like patinas and clear coat,etc. I don't have a feel for the time to allow for this yet. Curious to know if anyone has a "formula " that works for them to figure this aspect of pricing based on size of the piece, a factor of the cost of the cutting, type of finish, etc or is it flat time and material? (which is hard to use in a price quote) Just don't want to lose my shirt on a project because I'm way off base. :o

Thanks for helping a newbie.
Jeff
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Price for finishing?

Post by Shane Warnick »

The price depends on many factors, and until you get a feel for your cost on those factors you aren't going to be able to do an accurate quote. What's your cost for the material needed to apply the desired finish? How long do you THINK it will take you? You see where I am going? The biggest variable is your skill and experience.

I assure you, every one of us has quoted a price, and been waaaay too low. There is also a learning curve to consider. It's not competitive to charge your customer a price based on the time it takes you if it takes you 3x as long as it should because you are learning, or made a mistake. Wait until you get something almost done, then knock it onto the floor etc. Customer isn't going to want to pay for you to strip it and start over.

You also have to consider what is required to be able to apply those finishes, and if it's even worth your time. Do you already have a paint booth? A powder coating oven? Sand blasting equipment?

How busy are you? Would you make more PROFIT by farming the finish work out?

I don't paint anymore, unless it's with a rattle can and I can do it between jobs, or if it's something like a large fire pit, patio table etc that's just going to get primed and painted with high temp black, etc and doesn't have to be perfect. I do paint large jobs, it's shop labor rate plus material marked up 30-50% depending on the size of the job. I don't powder coat either, I can have it done with a warranty for cheaper than it would cost for me to paint it myself. About the only thing I do on a regular basis is patina's, then I take it and have it blasted, then apply the patina, then back to the coater for a coat of clear powder. It's expensive, but DAMN it looks awesome.

Bottom line, for me, is I can make more profit farming the stuff out, I still make money on the finishing, and I am free to cut and work on other jobs in the shop WHILE the finishing is being done. Now, I had to develop a relationship with a few key people to get it where it is now, but I feel that time was well spent. I do the same thing with most file conversions that are more than a quick simple job. Ben DeLap is more than reasonable, I mark his cost up and make money on that, and I am free to make more money while he is doing the conversion.

Shane
Last edited by Shane Warnick on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobcat320
3 Star Elite Contributing Member
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Price for finishing?

Post by Bobcat320 »

Well said Shane!
PlasmaCam DHC2
Hyperthem PM65
Edwards 25T Ironworker
Miller Mig, Tig, Stick & Portable

Why pierce it when you can punch it!

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”