Price ?

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
Precisionmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Price ?

Post by Precisionmetalworks »

I quoted this job for a construction company that is owned by a family friend but was looking to see what you guys thought it was worth. The drawings have the dimensions and plate sizes and quantities. Thanks in advance.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Re: Price ?

Post by Shane Warnick »

I am sure you have them drawn, how many inches of cut, how many pierces, and how many square inches of material did you figure on each piece? I can give you a price real quick with that info, but I don't have time to sit and draw / figure all that to give you a number.

Shane
Precisionmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Precisionmetalworks »

There was 1186.78 inches cut of 3/8 plate with 39 pierces 6.5square feet of material. There was 372 inches of 3/4 plate with 27 pierces and 9 square feet of material.
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I would quote somewhere along these lines.

The 3/8" for the material and cutting, would be $220 plus $65 for loading and unloading the sheet. I have a policy that on material that's 1/4" of thicker, if you don't order at least $500 worth of parts, you are paying to load and unload / re-rack the sheet.

The 3/4" material, I don't normally pierce anything thicker than 5/8", I have a PM 85 and it "will" pierce 3/4", but not every single time, and it's hard on shields etc, and the holes aren't that great under 2". I would do the cutting and furnish material for $244 plus $65 for loading / unloading, and then I would charge for broaching the holes with my mag drill, unless they didn't care how close to round they were. Those 7/8" holes are going to have some taper, and I MIGHT try to just pierce them, but chances are I would drill then with a 7/16" annular cutter just to have a place to start. If they wanted them dead on, I would broach them all. I would add $2 per hole if I was just doing it to have a place to start to cut them, if they wanted them broached to the correct dimension, I would charge $4 per hole. This would cover my time and the wear on the cutters. In short, the 3/4" would probably be in the neighborhood of $405.

This is based on the figures you supplied, if that is just the amount of material in the parts themselves, it would be higher as I would charge for the amount it takes to produce the parts, leaving space between them etc. I will nest them in as tight as I can, but the customer would be charged for what it takes to make them, not just the amount that is actually in the parts.

In summary, using the numbers you provided in the $700 range for all of it. That's based on steel at $37.90 / 100 weight, A36 mild steel. Clean parts (no dross) and no other secondary processes. The other shops would be 25-40% more, the waterjet on the high end, and the laser shop prob close to 50% more than me. I could get more, however, I think you can shear a sheep over and over and over. You can only skin them once.........

My material cost on this would be around $150 total, figure $50 for consumables, electricity, wear on cutters, abrasives etc. So cost $200, I figure $500 PROFIT for max 3 hrs work ain't bad wages.

Shane
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I just realized that some of this was for 1/2", not sure if it would change much other than an additional load / unload fee.

Bottom line, it's a business. Figure what you want to make, price your work fair, know your machines limitations as well as your abilities, grip it and rip it. I've been the new, hungry dude. It's hard, and you will (or I did ) second guess yourself to death. Be fair, do good work. You won't get them all, and some you won't want but you won't know that until after the fact. Hang in there.

Shane
bryancab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by bryancab »

Shane Warnick wrote:I just realized that some of this was for 1/2", not sure if it would change much other than an additional load / unload fee.

Bottom line, it's a business. Figure what you want to make, price your work fair, know your machines limitations as well as your abilities, grip it and rip it. I've been the new, hungry dude. It's hard, and you will (or I did ) second guess yourself to death. Be fair, do good work. You won't get them all, and some you won't want but you won't know that until after the fact. Hang in there.

Shane

I do have to say that's some of the best advice ive heard in a while

great reading
I am the new guy with only 2 months under my belt I am still trying to figure out my program and how to run the machine properly
ABLE CUTTING & FABRICATION
torchmate 4800
BATON ROUGE, LA
THE PUNISHER
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I find my self second guessing my bids to death almost every time . There is great advice in this thread . Thanks Shane !
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by james.davis »

Some times it's just easier and cheaper to have some pieces sheared and drill the holes then to use a plasma cutter.
I try not to limit myself to what I can do but use what I know is available.
Jim
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Wow

I find it really fascinating to read other peoples take on things,
Thanks James for a really great thought provoking write up
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by james.davis »

Exapprentice,
All I was trying to say is there's more than one way to get the job done and to stay competitive in this market it doesn't hurt to look
at different ways to get the job done that may give an you an edge on the competition.
Jim
exapprentice
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by exapprentice »

Hi Jim

Dont get me wrong, I totally agree with your write up,
As I said Wow, I meant that in a good way ;)
I am one for always trying to keep it simple and do the best job with what I have available at the time.
If all I have is a sledge hammer then lets crack that nut and enjoy :D
Best Regards to all
Exapprentice :D
(Pete)
10'x5' DIY table / PM 45XP + M/C Torch - Trying to add 4 axis Tube cutting :(
Linux/CommandCandCNC MP3600 / PN200 / DCP-01 / PWM
Solid Edge, Inkscape, SheetCam, Scananything & Andonstar USB Microscope
james.davis
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by james.davis »

I with you.
Have a good day.
Jim
TimP
2 Star Elite Contributing Member
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by TimP »

And now I realize I'm pricing myself way too low!
Thanks for all of the great advice!

And, Shane, if you're ever in east Texas, let me know.

Tim
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

pricing too low is a constant issue for me as well. Mostly because I simply don't account well enough for all the work still left after the table is done cutting the metal.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”