Shipping of items

Learn & share techniques, strategies, and experiences on marketing your plasma cut products in this forum.
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Shipping of items

Post by jsd010 »

Does anyone have suggestions for how to or who to use in shipping larger items? Our school business has a fairly large (for our size) following of air force members that have had work done in the past. When they get reassigned to other bases they are still ordering small signs which are easy to ship, but we've been turning down orders for fire pits and other larger items because of it. I have a former teacher who go reassigned to Colorado wanting a pit shipped to her because she loves supporting my students. The pits are made out of 4x4 sheet 3/16 so they weigh between 75-100 lbs depending on designs.

Thanks
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Shipping of items

Post by acourtjester »

I have shipped things via trucking companies, If you can mount it on pallet for easy handling it will be better.
try googling trucking quotes to get prices don't go to a local company as it will cost you much more even if you use them to ship.
You will need the weight and size of package to start to fill out the info they will return with a price and name of company for dropping it off. :D
http://www.freightcenter.com/lp/truckin ... Avaf8P8HAQ
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

You can also ship via Greyhound for pretty reasonable. Just has to be under 30" high to fit in the cargo bay.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jsd010 »

Thanks so much. I'll check with local companies and see. I didn't know about greyhound though, I'll check to see if they have a stop in their area.
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jsd010 »

I was next to a fed ex shipping center today and went in to check shipping prices through them since I had the firepit in the back of the truck. To ship an octagon pit with dimensions of 35x35x24 weighing no more than 100lbs was going to be 936.00. Needless to say, the lady behind the counter go a laugh out of what words came out of my mouth. Still waiting on my accounts to get created at local carriers so they can quote me.
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA
Simko
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Simko »

UPS will ship up to 150 lbs. I recently shipped an anvil in a wooden crate roughly 12x12x24 that weighed 145 lbs and it cost $135.
79Bronco
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by 79Bronco »

jsd010 wrote:I was next to a fed ex shipping center today and went in to check shipping prices through them since I had the firepit in the back of the truck. To ship an octagon pit with dimensions of 35x35x24 weighing no more than 100lbs was going to be 936.00. Needless to say, the lady behind the counter go a laugh out of what words came out of my mouth. Still waiting on my accounts to get created at local carriers so they can quote me.
strap it down to a pallet and ship it freight. $150-$250 a pallet is what I normally pay.
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jsd010 »

I had to box it up. it was $236 to ship a 230 lb box. Interesting enough, the freight company didn't take credit cards and I had to run to a bank and get cash.
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA
night_stalker
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by night_stalker »

one of the easy ways I have found to ship is though a shipping broker. They get the best rates for you, and the volume they have gets then discounts. Just another tool for everyone to use.
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

one of the easy ways I have found to ship is though a shipping broker
How do you find a shipping broker?
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

tnbndr wrote:
one of the easy ways I have found to ship is though a shipping broker
How do you find a shipping broker?
www.sureway.com
www.freightquote.com
www.uship.com
This is just three of hundreds of shipping brokers. I actually have used Uship 4 times with great results. Takes a little longer to get quotes but you set the time limit for them to bid and just sit back and watch them go at it. Saved me a lot of money. If you catch someone going that way that would like to pick up a little extra money on their delivery, They will give you a great price.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
jsd010
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by jsd010 »

Thanks. If I need to ship another larger item, I'll check into that. Recently shipped 60 signs to Minot and screwed up my quote for shipping, ended up losing about $2 a sign. Needless to say, I'll be giving the next customer an estimate on shilling and let them know the price may change,
Josh Dahlem
Ag Teacher
Stanley FFA
purduebam
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by purduebam »

I know this is an older thread, but try YRC.com they have some very competitive pricing for larger items
LDR 5' x 10'
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

I have used Uship a lot, and it's not been a problem. I am in west Texas, and close to I20, so there is a lot of freight traffic going by. I have found that if it's on a pallet, and it can get wet etc, I can get them shipped pretty cheap, some as low as $75 just depends on where they are going. I usually throw them up on the front of the trailer, they strap it down and leave. Of course, they always have a hodge podge of other stuff on there, but one pallet thats a couple hundred pounds, they can usually find room. Seems to me that the big parts on the load pay the rent, and the little stuff is just gravy. I usually try to arrange pickup at the freight yard on the other end, that's part of the cheap rates. That way they aren't trying to find some house etc somewhere in a large truck. I have sent a lot of stuff via Beaver Express going up north towards Dallas, Oklahoma etc, they just don't run much south of me so no Houston etc, I usually use Waggoners for the stuff south of here, they are extremely reasonable if you drop off and have it picked up at the terminal.

Shane

Return to “Pricing, Advertising, & Marketing Your Products Forum”