It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:25 am

Parts Tumbler Build (with pics)

This forum is for plasma cutting related tools and accessories. Discuss products and tools that have worked or not worked for you.
redneckgateart
Elite Contributing Member

Parts Tumbler Build (with pics)

Postby redneckgateart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:16 pm

Hi Guys! We're starting to cut a lot of parts for a couple of trailer manufacturers and I finally decided to build a parts tumbler....and I thought y'all might like to see some pictures of the build.

I had most of the parts already....the only things I had to buy were the motor, drive sprocket and roller chain. I bought the gearbox a couple of years ago from a buddy. I didn't know what it came off of or what I was going to use it for, but I figured it was worth the $100 he wanted.

The pipe was 24" in diameter and 4' 6" long....it was going to be a BBQ pit, but it was perfect for this project.

I made the frame uprights out of 2" x 4" rectangular tubing. I decided to make the frame so that the center of the pipe was 36" above the floor. Because of the weight, I figured that a 4' base would keep things stable.

I made the door for the tumbler 36" wide and 12" tall.

Before I welded the ends in the pipe, I also added 3 "paddles", to help with the tumbling action. I used 1/4" x 4" flat bar and the paddles ran the entire length of the tumbler.

redneckgateart

Re: Parts Tumbler Build (with pics)

Postby redneckgateart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:19 pm

I welded a "tombstone-shaped" plate to one of the uprights to support the gearbox. To attach the gearbox to the pipe, I welded the drive ring to the endplate with 4 stand-offs. I could've cut the hole pattern in the endplate but I figured it would be better to keep the studs "out of harm's way".

I added a piece of 1.5" cold-rolled rod, running the length of the tumbler, as a center shaft. With the gearbox holding one end of the tumbler, I used a pillow block bearing on the other end, to support the center shaft.

I decided to use the Ironworker to punch 3 dozen holes in the door....to make it "self-cleaning". I used 3 teardrop style hinges, all mounted the same direction, so the door could be removed. To keep the door closed, I used 3 spring-loaded pin latches.

To beef up the frame, I added 4 crosspieces out of 2 3/8" pipe. I hinged the motor plate off of the upright and used a simple bolt/block tensioner. Here's a front view....

....and here is a look at the backside....

redneckgateart

Postby redneckgateart » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:21 pm

The motor I went with was a 1.5 HP, 1725 RPM. I used a 10-tooth drive sprocket on the motor and a 60-tooth sprocket on the gearbox, giving a 6:1 reduction in the chain drive. The gearbox was a 50:1 reduction, so I wound up with a 300:1 overall reduction.....1725 RPM's in and about 6 RPM out.

Here is the "near-final" version. I'm going to add a reversing switch, chain guards and a coat or two of paint. We're also thinking about building a trays to slide under the hopper....then we could just dump the parts and grab the tray with a forklift.

After building it, I HAD to try it out so we loaded 350 "washers" that were "hot off the table". Here's a before pic:

After 15 minutes of tumbling, here is what they looked like...

I've got 3-400 lbs of drops from the plasma table and the ironworker to use as "media"...circles, squares, triangles, etc. I didn't use it on the test run....who knows...I may not use it at all. I do plan on rolling a plate to bolt to the inside of the door, to cover up the holes, in case I want to use something like sand, to do some polishing.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the speed and the results. It is noisy though! Clankety-clank! I think we'll build a well-insulated enclosure for it.
I'll keep y'all posted!

JJsCustomDesigns

Postby JJsCustomDesigns » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Nice work. I like it alot.
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks

steelfx

Postby steelfx » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Very Impressive! Nice Job! :)

tnbndr

Postby tnbndr » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:15 pm

Nice build and essay!!
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
PM45
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
[email protected], [email protected]
Miller 211
RW 390E Slip Roll
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
https://www.facebook.com/ikescreations?ref=hl
http://ikescreations.com

BrianMick

Postby BrianMick » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:54 am

Here is the one I built. I used a 1/2 hp electric motor(if I had to do it again I would use a 3/4 or 1 hp motor) a pully wheel off of an old cement mixer(that is what i used to use until it wore out) and the baldor variable speed controller(was probably the most expensive part...around 450.00 usd ) the motor has to be variable speed also. Plasma cut the octogons and barrel sections out bent them into two halves and welded all together with 1 inch roundbar in the center( which turns on two pillow blocks) Did not weld any fins inside as I figured the flat sided style would force the material to flop on each other. I also put a timer on it so that it would shut off after as long as I wanted so parts dont get tumbled too long Works great
Brian

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

mdwalker

Postby mdwalker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:55 am

Not sure if I have any pictures but I made a ball mill a few years back. I used the transmission from an old riding lawn mower for the gear box and a 1HP electric motor. I worked perfect and I could change the speed by shifting gears.

Danny

redneckgateart

Postby redneckgateart » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:19 am

@ Danny : Until I remembered having the gearbox, we were thinking about the lawnmower transmission idea too. We even thought about keeping the engine....it might've made enough racket to cover up all of the noise!

@Brianmick : Cool build! I like the timer idea!

motoguy

Postby motoguy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:48 pm

The majority of these photos won't load for me. Maybe too old. Anyone have anything similar?
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam

DesertFabworks

Postby DesertFabworks » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:36 pm

I can not see the first set of pictures either. I use a cement mixer that I got of craigslist. Tough to beat for $50. The built by BrianMick is nice though.
Desert Fabworks LLC
Fort Mohave, Arizona
www.desertfabworks.com

Follow our CNC Plasma Build:
www.cncplasmabuild.com
Follow our CNC Router Build:
www.cncrouterbuild.com

HaasMetalDesigns

Postby HaasMetalDesigns » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:00 pm

I ben thinking of making on myself but never used one could someone post a before and after pic of there parts and what else do you put inside of it?

East German

Postby East German » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:12 am

Hallo

This is my Garden Earth and Parts Tumbler is an old cement mixer.

The parts were 15 minutes in.

Works fine.

Regards Peter

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

Sorry for my language! The last English class was in 1982.

Homemade CNC Plasma-Watertable with Mach 3
Triple Beast + Leadschine Drive
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Machine Torch + PriceCNC THC
Hypertherm Powermax 1100
Machine Torch + Proma THC

BTA Plasma

Postby BTA Plasma » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:37 am

That worked out VERY well!