Does anyone use a drum sander on their work?

Learn and share dross removal techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Does anyone use a drum sander on their work?

Post by AnotherDano »

I made a small table with woodworking camlock clamps to hold the little pieces for dross removal and finishing. My belt sander and the DA sander go through consumables like crazy when they catch an edge. And then, there is all that repositioning and edge rounding.

I was wondering if a small drum sander would work. Anyone out there using one?

This is what I've been looking at; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images ... 28013&s=hi
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
Mountain Home
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Does anyone use a drum sander on their work?

Post by Mountain Home »

I have not been doing this very long but what I have found to work great for cleaning small parts is soaking in a
mixture of muriatic acid and water. After reading someone else's post on doing this I tried it on some extremely
drossy wind spinners and it worked great. Gets in the cracks good and don't leave any grind marks.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Does anyone use a drum sander on their work?

Post by AnotherDano »

The first step I use is to knock off the dross with a twisted-wire brush in an angle grinder. The table has been tuned and leaves just a little bit to remove.

But the brush raises a little lip of metal at the edges, like a small wave. This leaves a high spot and if I need to sand down a powder coat, metal shows through after a sanding. The goal here is to produce a flat and even surface on the piece. It would also provide an even application of scratches that give the piece a good 'tooth' for the finish to attach to.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday

Return to “Dross/Slag Removal”