It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Steel marking !!!

This forum is for plasma cutting related tools and accessories. Discuss products and tools that have worked or not worked for you.
Leeds88

Steel marking !!!

Postby Leeds88 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi,

New guy here from England!

I have just purchased a 8x4 cnc water table with a hypertherm 105, Gets delivered in a few weeks.

Just found out today that 50 percent of the plates I'm going to be cutting will need marking with a small number around 20mm in size. Now I know the 105 can't do it so the next one in our budget would be the 45xp but it just doesn't have the duty cycle.

Has anybody fitted a tool of some sort to there table that could mark mild steel plates (pneumatic Scriber maybe)

Or has anybody actually tried marking with the 105 because the marking shields fit don't They??

plasmanewbie
Elite Contributing Member

Re: Steel marking !!!

Postby plasmanewbie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:11 am

Pneumatic scribers are great but expensive to buy and noisy to operate. It will however give the ability to scribe deeper if needed ( more air pressure and slow down feedrate). If you don't need to scribe real deep a diamond tipped drag engraver will be much cheaper. I use this one https://www.tormach.com/store/index.php ... &ref=32447 and it works great.

Leeds88

Postby Leeds88 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:51 pm

Thank you for the reply!! Oh ok yes that sounds like a much better option for me!!

Do you have any pictures of how you have attached it to your table??

djreiswig

Postby djreiswig » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:24 pm

There is a whole sub forum dedicated to plate markers. Maybe you can find something in there.
viewforum.php?f=100
2014 Bulltear (StarLab) 4x8
C&CNC EtherCut
Mach3, SheetCam, Draftsight
Hypertherm PM65
Oxy/Acetylene Flame Torch
Pneumatic Plate Marker, Ohmic, 10 inch Rotary Chuck (in progress)

beefy

Postby beefy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:49 am

plasmanewbie wrote:Pneumatic scribers are great but expensive to buy and noisy to operate. It will however give the ability to scribe deeper if needed ( more air pressure and slow down feedrate). If you don't need to scribe real deep a diamond tipped drag engraver will be much cheaper. I use this one https://www.tormach.com/store/index.php ... &ref=32447 and it works great.

Thanks very much for that, I never knew such a toy was out there. Noise was my biggest concern with scriber methods.

I'm going looking for one of them right now.
8 x 5 water table
Powermax 1250 with Duramax torch
UCCNC controller, UC400-ETH & UC300-ETH motion controllers.
Sheetcam
Geomagic Design 3D solid modelling
Coreldraw X5

plasmanewbie

Postby plasmanewbie » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:02 am

Leeds88 wrote:Thank you for the reply!! Oh ok yes that sounds like a much better option for me!!

Do you have any pictures of how you have attached it to your table??

I don't have any pics but basically its an aluminum bar same diameter as the plasma torch with a hole bored in the end that the Tormach tool slides into and is held in place with a set screw. Take the torch out and simply replace it with the engraver assembly. Super simple :D

Leeds88

Postby Leeds88 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks for all the info really appreciate it!!

Return to “Plasma Cutting Accessories & Related Tools Forum”