Quincy Compressors

All topics related to compressed air supply.
rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Quincy Compressors

Post by rbmgf7 »

Wondering who out there has a newer Quincy Compressor?

I picked up an 80 gallon last Nov and it's been making some strange noises lately.

I installed an hour meter and so far I only have 19 hours on the unit.

While running, I can hear a metallic pinging from the pump and when the cycle ends, it sounds like someone is striking the tank with a mallet. Pinging could be the reeds but I don't recall hearing it before nor have I heard this sound from any other compressors. Some days when I run in continuously, it'll also growl at the end of a cycle. I figure the growl is due to the heat expansion because the following day when it's cold, it doesn't make the noise.

From the online reviews and Facebook comments, it seems like Quincy's quality might be lacking. I didn't want to bite into the whole "made in USA" bit so I figure I give them a go due to hearing great things about their products. Now I'm starting to have my doubts.

Anyone else with a newer Quincy having issues? None of their contact links or submissions work on their website and after a few attempts, no one is answering the phone.
motoguy
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Quincy Compressors

Post by motoguy »

What model? There are the "legacy" models, which built Quincy's great reputation. They also have "consumer grade" models, in essence to compete with the big box stores. I think the QR are the "built the brand" models, QT being the "consumer" model, and the QP maybe somewhere in between.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam
rbmgf7
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by rbmgf7 »

QT-5. The one sold through Lowe's but it's available elsewhere.

The reviews are polar. Lowes has the worst but everywhere else has good reviews which is why I still went with it.

It's hard to have Quincy compete with the other box store compressors when an 80 gallon Quincy is anywhere from 500 to 1000 more than it's other rival in Lowes, TSC, HD, etc. Lowes doesn't even carry the Quincy's in-store (except one store did have a 60 gal on the floor). When you order, they ship direct from the manufacturer.

Most of the bad reviews are components. From what I can tell, Quincy only makes the pump. It's a Baldor motor, Square D switches, and not sure who/where the tank is made but it could be very likely supplied. Since the noise is coming form the pump, it's a Quincy concern.
WyoGreen
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by WyoGreen »

Are you sure it's not the anti-back flow valve in the top of the tank making the noise (mine went bad and they replaced it). Also check your intake air filter to make sure it's not dirty and slowing down the air flow.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
Router
Laser
tcaudle

Post by tcaudle »

We bought a Quincy Compressor a little over a year ago to replace the second Harbor Freight one that had failed. HF compressors last about a year under heavy use, until you have to replace the compressor. The good news is its pretty cheap to do so. My Production Mgr talked me into investing a lot more money in a compresser that "would last longer":. It ran quieter and pumped faster. We were happy. Then about 6 months in, it quit running.. Problem was traced to the thermal breaker on the motor. One side was blown. Jumperd it; ran okay. I tried to find a replacement thermal breaker. The part number was impossible to find. I tried the Northern Hydraulics website and the Quincy website....nothing. Tried the motor number on the motor mfg website and that motor number was not in their line and was a "Special" . Called Northern Hydraulics (two stores within 50 mile) They said warranty had to be done through a warranty center and we had to dismount the whole motor and bring it in. They had no spare parts. We ran with it jumpered and went on. Eventually the whole motor failed. Found a replacement for about 500 bucks (ouch) and its been running since.
BTA Plasma
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by BTA Plasma »

Many compressor mfgs have pumped sourced from the same country (China) and will only assemble and paint. Piston style pumps have become so popular that in China there are scores of MFGs making them. The price has hit historical rock bottom so they come in and are assembled into many different brands. You cannot escape this until you get to the screw compressor level which also have chinese and taiwanese parts. We went fromCaire to Speedaire to Caire to Quincy screw compressors. Screw compressors are expensive and whiney...man do they whine.
ggeh
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ggeh »

I went with a eaton polar air 7.5hp 80gal upright 31cfm/100 26cfm/175. I purchased one with an intake silencer package for around $2500 if my memory serve me correct. You can talk in a normal voice in the shop while its running. Changed oil after first 50 hours no problems so far. I chose eaton because they offered the best warranty of them all that I checked out. Its 5 year on the whole thing. They are located in Ohio they crated it and shipped it to my shop door. Happy so far about 250 running hours.
https://www.eatoncompressor.com/

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Bogone
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Bogone »

I own a body shop and we have a quincy 15 hp that is probably 30 years old. We had to have one of the check valves replaced in 7 years of constant use. It is on a maintenance scedule and gets serviced often. We also have a 10 hp eaton rotary for backup, it is a pos,has about 150 hours on it and has quit 3 or 4 times. The filter plugged the first time and it cost 150 dollars for a new one. Also uses special exspensive synthetic oil. The service kit is around 300 dollars includes oil filter and a couple of orings, they have ben lasting about 50 hours.
Mastercam 2019, Bobcad V31,Fusion 360
Okuma LB10, Fadal 4020, Haas TM1
Okuma 22x60, Hardinge HLVH, Goodway 14x40
Acra 10x50, 4x4 Plasmacam
Sampson Jones

Post by Sampson Jones »

My Quincy is was made in 1960 , still running , 58 years old
My design , 4ft x 8 ft water table
CandCNC electronics
Hypertherm powermax 65
Command Lineux
Super z 2
Sheetcam
Inkscape and corel draw
SegoMan DeSigns

Post by SegoMan DeSigns »

ggeh wrote:I went with a eaton polar air 7.5hp 80gal upright 31cfm/100 26cfm/175. I purchased one with an intake silencer package for around $2500 if my memory serve me correct. You can talk in a normal voice in the shop while its running. Changed oil after first 50 hours no problems so far. I chose eaton because they offered the best warranty of them all that I checked out. Its 5 year on the whole thing. They are located in Ohio they crated it and shipped it to my shop door. Happy so far about 250 running hours.
https://www.eatoncompressor.com/

They run quieter /cooler as they up size the compressor then slow down it's RPM. Cooler temps = less condensation and longer life I have about 10 yrs on their 20/15hp 3 phase unit.

Return to “Air Dryers, Air Filters, Air Compressors, Etc.”