Another Press Brake Build

All topics related to bending, forming, notching, drilling, saw cutting, etc.
KIDTech
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Another Press Brake Build

Post by KIDTech »

I have quite a bit of "I" beam and c-channel laying around from tearing down some old buildings on my property so I thought I would reclaim and re-use them for something in the shop. I am planning on using a 50 ton ram and an electric hydraulic pump system similar to a log splitter.
Here is what I have come up with so far for a design. I have not done any math on it yet but I will do some mechanical statics to see where I am at later on and I will test out the pin placement when I draw it up in Fusion. It is a 50" wide punch/die combo that I will use for pretty much thin metal up to 11 ga. Feel free to pick it apart if you'd like, I am just getting back into the swing of designing machinery.
PressBrake.JPG

Here is what I am thinking for the die and it's plate. I figured I would notch the plate for the racks to fit into then weld them in rather than measuring each one out and what not. I also plan on using .95' rod for the punch guide with a sleeve attached to the punch that would fit over it, similar to the SWAG style.
PressBrakeRack.JPG
I have already contacted some machine shops on building my punch which will have a pitch of 85 degrees so I can compensate for spring back.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 5x10 v rail, rack and pinion
Gecko g540
Pm65 - aka game changer
Longevity ForceCut 42i is sitting on the shelf
Proma THC
ACAD, SheetCam, Mach3
Millermatic 211
NEW HORSE IN THE STABLE:
4'x8' LDR downdraft w/a scribe
Milltronics Partner 2 CNC mill
Thor
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Another Press Brake Build

Post by Thor »

The pivot arms, where they taper down to meet the shackles, look weak. Most that use this style, the pivot arms do a force multiplication as the punch side throw is shorter than the cylinder side. That way a standard 4" or so cylinder with say 24" stroke can move the punch 6" with 4x the force that the cylinder is putting out (3500psi on a 4" cylinder gets you a touch over 20 tons, so 80 tons at the punch then). It actually gets to be more than that as most have the bottom of punch travel almost to the point where the shackles go over center so the lever advantage becomes huge.
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Another Press Brake Build

Post by acourtjester »

I think there were a few guys posting info about a press just like that on http://weldingweb.com/index.php
do a search to find it. Lots of detail in the post.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT

Return to “Metal Bending, Rolling, Notching, Drilling, Saw Cutting”