Local welding shop SUCKS!

Information on plasma cutting nozzles, electrodes, and other consumables.
Rockrunner86
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Local welding shop SUCKS!

Post by Rockrunner86 »

I have gone into the local Airgas a few times looking for nozzles, electrodes, etc and they never have them in stock. Talked to the manager and asked if they could start stocking the items I use, he promptly says sure not a problem. I give him a list of parts that I use often and would be great if they kept a few on hand. Go back in a month later and they said they were stocking the items I had asked for but since no one was buying them they sent all of the items back to the warehouse. What gives?? I told them when I come in to purchase thses items I either need them in a emergency (I know lack of planning on my part) or I want to pick up a large quanity of them!! Either way if I am going to have to wait a few days to get them I will continue to order them online..

Ty.
Kentuckyfarmer
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Local welding shop SUCKS!

Post by Kentuckyfarmer »

Soundsaboutright forAirgas, have had the same luck with one near me.
Mike
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by tnbndr »

I would not rely on Airgas or anyone else for that matter. Order online, save money and make sure you keep your stock current so that you never run out.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
SomethingMetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by SomethingMetal »

I have ran into the same issues with a local Airgas. Ordered some parts and they forgot to place the order. Ordered them they showed up 2 days later than they told me they would. Then they charged me a $7 hazardous handling charge. Didn't have anything I needed for my Hypertherm 65 so I ordered them from online and they got here quicker from Ohio than what Airgas ordered. I am done with them period.
Samson 510
Hypertherm PM85
Rockrunner86
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by Rockrunner86 »

tnbndr wrote:I would not rely on Airgas or anyone else for that matter. Order online, save money and make sure you keep your stock current so that you never run out.

I have never really considered them as a daily source for anything but it would be nice if they would stock the parts I need. You know how it is, some one forgets to let you know they used the last of something or are really low and a big job comes in. Next, thing you know you feel like your pants are around your ankles and have to scramble to get parts. I was lucky and cut everything with a finecut nozzle and get it complete but still.
WSS
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by WSS »

About six months ago, our local Airgas put us in a big bind. We had a contract with them to keep our specific hard wire in stock and we would purchase 500lbs a week. They ran us out about a year ago and I had to use some chinese wire (nasty stuff, hard to feed) until the next pallet came in. At that point I was free to go elsewhere but thought to give em another shot at me. I may be too picky about the hardwire we use but our machines are automatic and rely on smooth feeding and little to no plug-ups. Well, they did it again. This time they had a two day warning that our driver would be in to pick it up. He could not make so I went to get it. Guess what, NO wire. Best guess was a month out. We shop at PRAXAIR now. Great service better prices and the hardwire, consumables and gases I want. The rep is green but eager which I appreciate.

We do like to give as much to our local companies (community) as possible. We do order online but will give the local guys a chance first.

WSS
JJsCustomDesigns
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by JJsCustomDesigns »

sounds like everyones had a little run in with AirGas's poor service. I use to order consumables from them. not anymore. what little they had the shelf wasnt enough for me to finish the job. They told me they could have them in stock within a few days. So i went back (45mile trip one way) and they forgot to order them. :evil: I ended up paying out the nose at a local welding shop for enough consumables to finish the job.

I use Praxair now
"There are bigger things planned for you in your life, be patient"

Im on the prowl for a good used Hypertherm Plasma with hand torch.
PM me with details
Thanks
SouthernDove
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SouthernDove »

AirGas quoted me for my setup and it was HIGHWAY Robbery! When I went to check out their plasma setup, the VICE PRESIDENT of the COMPANY tried to "Present" it to me and fumbled his way through the software!!!! TOTAL FAILURE!!!! Such a waste of my time!
~Jennifer
tnbndr

Post by tnbndr »

We shop at PRAXAIR now. Great service better prices and the hardwire
I use our local PRAXAIR dealer also. I purchased my welder and plasma cutter from them. Paid a little more than online but I also like to suppport the local businesses if possible and if they do things right. I have been totally pleased with them. Always have what I need in stock and great service.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
gary42095
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by gary42095 »

just turned my tanks in to airgas when they bought out the company i was using. started getting rid of the help too. the new guy at the counter asked why so i told him. prices are too high and i don't want to buy radnor brand everything. "yea i have heard that from others too" my drive is 15 minutes farther away now, but better selection and far better prices and its a local owned too which i think is better. as for buy online and get it cheaper. with alot of things yes i agree. but when i have issues with something i bought i would like to deal with it "hands on" rather than by email and shipping stuff back.
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

After reading all the posts about how bad Airgas is, I feel really fortunate. After several years of TERRIBLE service with Praxair, basically the same as is being said about Airgas, I decided to give Airgas a try and 6 years later I'm still with them...happier than a pig in .....! Along with all the consumables/supplies I've purchased over the years I've also bought 2 Hypertherm plasma cutters, 1 Thermadyne plasma cutter, 2 Miller migs, and a Baileigh band saw. Before each equipment purchase I compared prices on Ebay and numerous other websites looking for the best deal taking into consideration shipping, taxes, etc. and the guys at Airgas always matched or beat what I could find elsewhere. It makes me wonder what the difference is, local management or company policies?

Allen
SouthernDove
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by SouthernDove »

Mgmt & Knowledge of THE Business Is What It Appears... Evidently, They Let Someone W/Enough $ to Buy Into The Franchise, That Knows NOTHING Abt Plasma... I Can't Imagine Buying/Running/Managing a Franchised, Cookie Cutter Type Operation, Without Knowing It Inside Out!
~JL
bigcreek
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bigcreek »

Guess Im pretty fortunate as well. My local Airgas supplier is extraordinary. Ive bought several plasma cutters and a welder or two from them along with odds and ends and they are the cheapest and as friendly as they come. Great bunch of guys. This ones in Caldwell, ID.
Josh Foster
www.bigcreekmetalworks.com
Titanfab
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Titanfab »

I have to give props to my local airgas. They have the consumables in stock and beat everybodies prices.
They are friendly and professional. Local airgas Montogmery Al
trucks1948
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by trucks1948 »

I buy all my hypertherm supplies thru Harris welding supply.Found them on ebay,now i order direct.Fast service and i've never hadf to wait.Jim
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

Interesting comments about Airgas. As an OEM for both TD and Hypertherm, we get our plasma consumables directly from the manufacturer, but for everything else, we are lucky enough to be in a large population area with 5 or 6 welding supply houses and competition keeps them in line. The one we deal with is a family owned business where if there is an issue, you can knock on the owners door.

Regarding Airgas and Praxair...If you need a regular supply of consumables, they are usually eager to accommodate. Many of them use these plasma machines as loss leaders because they know that if the treat you right on the plasma, you'll be back for consumables. Sometimes you just need to get to the right person and explain that you only want to deal with one supplier and if you have to take your consumable business elsewhere everything else will go with it. Someone other the hourly counter guy needs t know that if you have to wait 2-3 days for consumables, you'll just order them online.

Our industrial customers seem very pleased with both Airgas and Praxair, but some of them spend in excess of $1000/month on consumables and that may have some bearing on what they stock. On the other hand....Airgas is VERY pro Hypertherm and we've found that they usually try to keep a decent supply of consumables.
--------------------------------------------
http://www.trucutcnc.com
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN
BrianMick

Post by BrianMick »

Sounds to me like there is a hell of a markup on consumables ;) if they are willing to sell a table at a loss just to sell consumables :oops:
Brian
trucutcnc
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by trucutcnc »

I didn't say they sell tables at a loss. They sell power supplies at or slightly above cost to get the consumable business. You pay 5-6 bucks for a part with a cost of about $0.25...so you bet...there is some markup. Wait till you get into the HD market. It can cost anywhere from $35 - $50 for a single consumable change.

It's not uncommon for a plasma manufacturer to install a $50,000 unit for nothing because they know that that company will spend 3 or 4 times that on consumables in a year.
--------------------------------------------
http://www.trucutcnc.com
Ross Carlisle
Jackson, TN

Return to “Plasma Consumables”