Belt Sander

Learn and share dross removal techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Belt Sander

Post by Maadman »

I've heard you can use a wood belt sander to remove dross from metal. Anyone ever try it? Would love some info, so tired of flap disks!
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Belt Sander

Post by acourtjester »

Have you tried to use Muriatic acid and water 50/50 couple of hour dross gone. :lol:
DSCN3177.JPG
DSCN3180.JPG
DSCN3241.JPG
DSCN3185.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

Thanks for the suggestion. I sure have tried it I know it works very well for many people. It was good, but not that good. I also have a metal building, it doesn't like Muriatic acid at all! I do a lot of smaller text with tight curves that produces a lot of dross. It's what I like to do, and it sells well, so I am probably always destined to have a lot of dross. I know I have heard of people successfully using wood sanders for metal. Want to give it a try, and if anyone has any tips I would love to hear them.
CleanCutCreations
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by CleanCutCreations »

Maadman wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:04 am Thanks for the suggestion. I sure have tried it I know it works very well for many people. It was good, but not that good. I also have a metal building, it doesn't like Muriatic acid at all! I do a lot of smaller text with tight curves that produces a lot of dross. It's what I like to do, and it sells well, so I am probably always destined to have a lot of dross. I know I have heard of people successfully using wood sanders for metal. Want to give it a try, and if anyone has any tips I would love to hear them.
I was thinking about trying that also. Did you ever try it?
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Have you tried to knock the dross off with a small hammer, if you strike it at an angle it will break off most of the large dross. Just work around the part with the hammer. I then use a flap wheel to clean the rest off, but the acid dip is the easiest to do.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Maadman
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Maadman »

I've tried the hammer thing, not so hot on 14 gauge. I did try a wood sander, but it did not have a sensor to keep the sanding belt in position. That is not good! If we can keep the belt on track it works well.

Return to “Dross/Slag Removal”