Best slag removal tool I've used so far

Learn and share dross removal techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
DXF
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Best slag removal tool I've used so far

Post by DXF »

I am installing vinyl laminate flooring in my house and purchased one of these to cut clearance in the bottom of door jambs. I thought I'd try it on slag removal.....works excellent! My plasma cutter doesn't leave very much slag. I am using a Hobart 375 Airforce plasma cutter that's been hit by lightning twice (blew out the circuit board) and it's over 18 years old. I have a Plasma Cam machine that's just as old and 3.11 software with no THC.....still runs great and never had a problem with it. The Rockwell cutter is kind of of heavy but if you turn it on and balance it in one hand not too bad. I've used air chippers, needle scalers and hand scrapers.....have a big pile of different ones that I've bought. Don't want muratic acid in my shop. https://www.lowes.com/pd/ROCKWELL-Sonic ... 1000039771

Dave Hanks
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Best slag removal tool I've used so far

Post by jason.jason.p »

I've had one laying around for years but never thought to use it for slag removal :lol: I'm guessing you use the scraper blade?
DXF

Post by DXF »

jason.jason.p wrote:I've had one laying around for years but never thought to use it for slag removal :lol: I'm guessing you use the scraper blade?
No actually I'm using the cutting blade.....(2) came with it and you can use other companies blades in it or I might make my own and heat treat the edge with a torch.....haven't checked out other blades yet.

Dave
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Good idea Dave. I have a Porter Cable unit and have never though of trying it. Bet I will soon. Thanks for the idea.

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
jason.jason.p
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jason.jason.p »

DXF wrote:
jason.jason.p wrote:I've had one laying around for years but never thought to use it for slag removal :lol: I'm guessing you use the scraper blade?
No actually I'm using the cutting blade.....(2) came with it and you can use other companies blades in it or I might make my own and heat treat the edge with a torch.....haven't checked out other blades yet.

Dave
Wood or metal cutting blade?
DXF

Post by DXF »

jason.jason.p wrote:
DXF wrote:

Dave
Wood or metal cutting blade?
I am assuming it's a wood blade but.....same one I used to cut the door jambs. A scraper blade would probably work also.
ColtDurr
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by ColtDurr »

Old thread but great idea. Gonna try
4'x4' Delusional Designs FREEDOM
Hypertherm 45XP
60 Gallon Cambell , Poor boy copper dryer , 5 stage MAX DRY desiccant, MICRO Guard TP
airdy
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by airdy »

DXF wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:04 pm I am installing vinyl laminate flooring in my house and purchased one of these to cut clearance in the bottom of door jambs. I thought I'd try it on slag removal.....works excellent! My plasma cutter doesn't leave very much slag. I am using a Hobart 375 Airforce plasma cutter that's been hit by lightning twice (blew out the circuit board) and it's over 18 years old. I have a Plasma Cam machine that's just as old and 3.11 software with no THC.....still runs great and never had a problem with it. The Rockwell cutter is kind of of heavy but if you turn it on and balance it in one hand not too bad. I've used air chippers, needle scalers and hand scrapers.....have a big pile of different ones that I've bought. Don't want muratic acid in my shop. https://www.lowes.com/pd/ROCKWELL-Sonic ... 1000039771

Dave Hanks
Great idea. Have a cheaper one, which head are you using.
Aird
Ponderosa Forge
Sk. Cdn.

Return to “Dross/Slag Removal”