Removing mill scale with vinegar

Learn and share dross removal techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
LISA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Removing mill scale with vinegar

Post by LISA »

I have been testing many prep methods. I am currently working with vinegar to remove rust and mill scale. I have had very good results. It is not as expensive as hydrochloric acid and while it has a pungent odor it is not as hazardous to your skin either.

I filled a 55 gallon trash can with 30 gallons of white vinegar and began soaking. Over a weeks time I soaked 20 large pieces, 8-24 hours, with good results. I went over the piece with steel wool and rinsed with water. Because I am anal about prep I also ran over it with wire wheel but I really do not think that was necessary. The steel wool etches it. I just like to see that shiny look before I cover it with a finish!

I have no idea how long the vinegar will stay potent. I did test paint removal with vinegar and while it took several days it does lift high heat paint. I easily scraped it off.
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Removing mill scale with vinegar

Post by tnbndr »

Not sure where you are located but look for a source of pickling vinegar, it is 12% acidic compared to the store vinegar at 4%.
I found a business near me that pickles eggs, etc for bar treats and they sell it to me for $1.75 a gallon.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
LISA
1 Star Member
1 Star Member