Muriatic Acid

Learn and share dross removal techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Muriatic Acid

Post by little blue choo »

I finally set up my acid cleaning station today. Put in 2 gallons of water and then added 1 gallon of acid. Hope this is the right ratio. My question is how long do you leave your metal in the tank and if you don't get back to it in 24 hours will it do any damage. I am using 16 gauge P&O hot rolled steel.
Thanks
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Muriatic Acid

Post by Capstone »

So with "the dip" as I call it, so long as the metal is fully submerged, you can leave it there for days will no problem. But with the acid that strong, it shouldn't take more than an hour. Use protective arm length approved gloves, goggles and long clothing preferably with a plastic apron. little splashes will ruin clothing over time and definitely have a water hose nearby to quickly wash yourself if you get splashed on your skin.

I didn't measure it out specifically, but mine is probably around 10:1 and still only takes a few hours. 2:1 is probably a little caustic and overkill.

While you can leave stuff in the dip; do not leave any metal objects nearby outside of the dip; they will rust very quickly. The fumes will attack all forms of carbon. Only plastic and wood will survive and even plastics will discolor over time. (see the pic)

The minute the pieces comes out of the dip, rinse it with water and use compressed air to thoroughly dry it. And, don't try to rinse and dry too big of a batch either. you'll end up with the last pieces getting flash rust.
2015-09-27 07.49.51.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Last edited by Capstone on Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

Muriatic acid will dissolve aluminum also. Take a penny, grind a little spot on the edge just through the copper cladding to expose the aluminum and drop it in the muriatic acid. Then take it out the next day and see what you have.

Allen
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

I leave things in until morning pretty commonly, and someday's morning is close to noon. :mrgreen:

I cut quail and want them to rust; found if I pull them and leave them just over the dip, they wont rust fast enough, but pull them rinse then put them back over the dip and it gets done.

Steel FX; Has a few videos on how he uses it with ratios too.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by OTHill »

Why use acid when you are using P and O steel?
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Thanks Guys. Great information. I set it up outside and will change my ratio later. As for why use it on P&O, I like to polish and use dies and candy paint and if you use the acid on the P&O it will polish up much quicker. I tried it today with two exact same pieces and the one that was in the acid overnight polished in less than 1 minute the other one took over 3 minutes and took a lot more effort and I hate side grinders and flap disc.
Thanks
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

Lately I am using P&O steel and it's great since there is no milk scale. But I still let them soak in acid for awhile. Helps eat away at dross and saves me money on flap discs.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Nacs Fab
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Nacs Fab »

Biggest mistake I ever did was use this acid in my shop. Sounds like you made the best choice and use it outside. It rusted everything, even some of my hand tools if I left them out for long periods of time. I had a large poly cattle trough that had a brass drain plug. I loaded the vat and let it set a few days. I checked on it one morning and found the drian plug had leaked a large amount on my shop floor, and if flowed to the garage door and out into the gravel driveway. It cut a 1/8" deep channel about 12" wide. Stupid mistake.

I didnt think about how high the level was once it the vat was loaded and it eventually ate the plug. Never again. :oops: :lol:
Shop Droids Plasmabot 3.0 DIY 4x8 with water table
G540 with LCTHC by candcnc
Hypertherm 1250 with Duramax Torch Upgrade
all built... by me...
dustywill
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by dustywill »

gamble wrote:Lately I am using P&O steel and it's great since there is no milk scale. But I still let them soak in acid for awhile. Helps eat away at dross and saves me money on flap discs.
Love the P&O myself. I don't use flap discs to get off dross. I use a knotted wire brush and will never go back to acid or flap discs for dross. The acid is no longer a step I take. I don't have to dry my pieces and the flash rust that inevitably ended up on my work doesn't happen.
Precision Plasma 4x8 v-rail
C&CNC dragon cut 620
Hypertherm Powermax 45
Auburn, AL
www.facebook.com/decorativemetalworks

Return to “Dross/Slag Removal”