Cleaning/dross removal etc. Will this work?

Learn and share dross removal techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Cleaning/dross removal etc. Will this work?

Post by gamble »

Anyone use one of these? Or know what they are called? I'd be looking for an electric one.
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pneuma ... -tool.html
Wondering how well they work for removing dross and sanding down so the metal can be ready for patina
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: Cleaning/dross removal etc. Will this work?

Post by AnotherDano »

$300.00 will buy a lot of flap disks.
I use a belt sander, after removing any heavy dross with a quick swipe of a twisted knot cup.
The flap disks are prone to gouging and I try to avoid that as much as possible - especially on the 'front' of a piece.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

AnotherDano wrote:$300.00 will buy a lot of flap disks.
I use a belt sander, after removing any heavy dross with a quick swipe of a twisted knot cup.
The flap disks are prone to gouging and I try to avoid that as much as possible - especially on the 'front' of a piece.
lol that's why I want an electric one. I burn through flap wheels pretty quick.
I HATE twisted knot cup. I don't think it works well at all. I even turned it sideways to get the meaty part of the knot to hit and it flings stainless strands everywhere. Had one sticking out of my hand. No thanks.
This is the one I tried
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-twi ... 47927.html
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

I can assure you that thing will throw also . . .maybe not as much, but will throw.

We used to have one similar to it in an industrial version they used to make welds pretty in a Budwieser plant in the process area in Bakersfield.

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
abmetal
4 Star Elite Contributing Member
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by abmetal »

Since I've started using the Norton Avos sanding discs, I use very few flap wheels. And the Avos discs last a long time.

Allen
HammerDownJustin
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by HammerDownJustin »

gamble wrote:
I HATE twisted knot cup. I don't think it works well at all. I even turned it sideways to get the meaty part of the knot to hit and it flings stainless strands everywhere. Had one sticking out of my hand. No thanks.
This is the one I tried
Sell the Longevity and buy a hypertherm...that will help your dross the most. I started with a longevity also.
Home built 5x10 table CandCNC electronics
Miller 251 Mig
And lots of other cool stuff...
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

[/quote]
This is the one I tried
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-inch-twi ... 47927.html[/quote]

The best wire wheels I've found are the ones I get from my local NAPA store.....I use the knotted ones and keep them pretty flat on the surface when using them. Takes 90% of the dross right off. They cost about $12 or so and last a good long time, with little wire loss.

I also have been happy with flap wheels made by Camel. I get them from ENCO. They are about $3 ea. if you buy a box of 10.

Just my 2?
Shane Warnick
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by Shane Warnick »

It should work, my concern would be longevity of the media and cost to replace. If you end up getting it run it for a month and let us know. Thx

Shane
mdwalker
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by mdwalker »

I use the twisted knot brushes on almost everything. I don't think you can find anything that will remove the dross faster, but they are dangerous. They will grab your shirt and whip your a$$ before you know what got you, lol. I have the scars to prove it. The main point I would like to make though is that if you have dross that a wire cup brush won't easily remove then you probably have other issues. I don't have experience with anything but Hypertherm but if you have your machine and table properly set up you should have very little dross and what you do have should be easy to remove. It is much more economical to take the time to set everything up properly and keep new or undamaged consumables in your machine than to spend time cleaning parts.
Danny Walker
Walker Manufacturing
Tishomingo, Oklahoma USA
www.walkermfg.net
muzza
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by muzza »

mdwalker wrote:I use the twisted knot brushes on almost everything. I don't think you can find anything that will remove the dross faster, but they are dangerous. They will grab your shirt and whip your a$$ before you know what got you, lol. I have the scars to prove it. The main point I would like to make though is that if you have dross that a wire cup brush won't easily remove then you probably have other issues. I don't have experience with anything but Hypertherm but if you have your machine and table properly set up you should have very little dross and what you do have should be easy to remove. It is much more economical to take the time to set everything up properly and keep new or undamaged consumables in your machine than to spend time cleaning parts.

Agree 110% fix the cause and you don't have a problem, I cut a lot of 24" x 18" oval signs which take about 30 seconds each to do with the wire wheel on the grinder if they need doing at all.
I've wrecked a couple of shirts too :oops:
Murray
ZTFab
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ZTFab »

gamble wrote:
This is the one I tried

What do you expect from a Harbor Freight wire brush?

Stop buying crappy tools and being disappointed with the crappy results you get.

You have to look at the value of an item, not the price.
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

lol i don't know. I went with a cheap one because I figured it was so simple, stainless wire. didn't think it would of made a difference. Guess i was wrong.
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
see&see
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
2.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by see&see »

Norton Avos sanding discs are the way to go for light dross removal. On heavier material with slower cuts and more dross I use an air hammer with a wide flat blade first and Norton Avos sanding discs for the finishing touch..
abmetal wrote:Since I've started using the Norton Avos sanding discs, I use very few flap wheels. And the Avos discs last a long time.

Allen
You marry into the PlasmaCam family and must accept the fact your software and hardware are proprietary. It's a for better or for worse engagement with overwhelming security. PlasmaCam controls the computer, table, hardware to their advantage IMO. :x
whiskeymike
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by whiskeymike »

Fwiw, I've been picking up my abrasives at http://www.grindtoolabrasives.com and have been really happy. I've been getting 9" PSA green zirconia discs for my grizzly sander and they work fast and last about 3 times as long as my previous vendor. I ordered some flap discs and 3" Roloc stuff. I found the guy from Pirate.
littledigger
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by littledigger »

I have been using a wire cup on a air powered buffer. Turns a lot slower and it's a lot safer !!

Return to “Dross/Slag Removal”