Parts Cleaner to clean metal?

Learn and share dross removal techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Parts Cleaner to clean metal?

Post by Jfile »

Has anyone tried using automotive parts cleaner to soak and clean pieces to prep for painting? It just dawned on me the other day that I have one of the parts washers that you buy at Northern or Harbor Freight and I have never used it. It still has a few gallons of the parts cleaner solvent in it that I put in when my wife bought it for me for a birthday or some occasion.

I don't know whether to try using it to clean pieces prior to painting or just get rid of the solvent and replace it with a 50 - 50 vinegar mix. I like the idea of getting use out of the parts washer. One, I already have it and two, it circulates whatever liquid you have in it with a small pump. I would think that should help with the cleaning process. I suppose the only downside will be the size. I probably will not be able to fit a piece much over 18" by 24" in it. That will cover a large portion of my work for the time being.

If I don't use the original solvent, I will have to figure out how to dispose of it. It's been a couple of years since I got it so I can't remember if it's a water based solvent or not. Based on the odor, I doubt that it is water based. I'm sure it's flammable which is another reason that I'm leaning toward getting it out of my shop and using the vinegar mix.

Thoughts?

Thanks
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
szextreme
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Parts Cleaner to clean metal?

Post by szextreme »

Problem I see there is its a recirculating pump which will just keep putting debris back on to the part.
-Bulltear 5x12
-PM 85
-Miller Dynasty 400
-5000 Sq feet of toys......I mean Machinery!
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Parts Cleaner to clean metal?

Post by Jfile »

Makes sense. I guess I was just thinking if it would clean the oils, etc... off of the piece and then I would have to rinse it good afterwards. When soaking a piece in a tub of whatever solution is used, even though there is no circulating pump, the piece is in the solution with whatever debris is broken loose from the piece.

For everyone - Do most of you use the 50 - 50 vinegar mix for cleaning? So far I've just been hand wiping each piece down with mineral spirits but that gets time consuming with the more intricate designs.
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam

Return to “Dross/Slag Removal”