Need some Advice

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Need some Advice

Post by DARRYL21270 »

I am in the process of painting a sign for a client and I applied two base coats of gray primer then I sprayed on a topcoat of gloss white, when I checked on it earlier today I noticed that a portion of the stamp from the steel had bled through the primer and the topcoat. I'm not even going to attempt repainting it until it fully cures for 48hrs but i'm afraid no matter how many times I re-coat, it will still bleed through. Any suggestions other than sanding down to bare metal and starting over or can I just sand down that specific area and re-coat the entire piece? I've never run into this problem before and the stamp didn't bleed through the primer so I figured everything would be fine.

Thanks
tnbndr
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Need some Advice

Post by tnbndr »

I would try to spray some KILZ over the stamp area. That should stop it from bleeding through. Just a thought.
Dennis
LDR 4x8, Scribe, DTHCIV
Hypertherm PM45, Macair Dryer
DeVilbiss Air America 6.5HP, 80Gal., 175psi, Two Stage
16.9scfm@100psi, 16.0scfm@175psi
Miller 215 MultiMatic
RW 390E Slip Roll (Powered)
AutoCAD, SheetCAM, Mach 3
http://ikescreations.com
DARRYL21270
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Need some Advice

Post by DARRYL21270 »

Thanks,
I went to the local paint store this morning and I told them my dilemma and they recommended using Zinsser cover stain oil based primer so I did a light sanding and sprayed it on and so far so good. I will do a final top coat later on today.

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”