Metal Coloring - Texturing Info

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
ageeironworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Metal Coloring - Texturing Info

Post by ageeironworks »

Hi, my name is Jenny, I am looking for information on coloring steel, heat and chemical combo's. If anybody could share their incite on the subject it would be very appreciated. I have worked with heat a little but not a pro by any means... :D Also info on the tools to use to get more detail on the steel, like the flow of water, or hairs on elk, bark on trees, etc.

P.S. I love this site. 8-) Too Cool.
Scratch
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Coloring Info

Post by Scratch »

Hi Jenny, I do alot of chemical patina's on my work. Check out http://www.sculptnouveau.com and order one of their sample kits. They have a ton of colors and are very easy to apply. They are great to work with and will answer questions over the phone too.
Also, you might want to check out http://www.metalartistforum.com/forum/index.php too. They talk about textuing steel and they also have an entire section devoted to patina's and preserving them.
I think I'm the oldest 10 year old boy on the forum...
ageeironworks
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ageeironworks »

Great thanks so much I will check them out.... :P
fyrpower
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by fyrpower »

Hi Jenny, to texture steel you can use a fly press, trendle hammer, air hammer or just a plain old hammer with a chisel, I do blacksmith work and have many chisels to texture steel. You can do a serach for Kayne and son Blacksmith Depot, they have blacksmith tools.......fyrpower, I sent a picture of a Elk I textured with a chisel for a fireplace screen

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”