steel fx ??????

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
tksheetmetalworks
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

steel fx ??????

Post by tksheetmetalworks »

how does this stell fx metal coating work and how do you use it what is the process consist of
SignTorch Vector Art
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Re: steel fx ??????

Post by SignTorch Vector Art »

Judging by the pictures, it works great, he developed and sells the chemicals and even wrote a book on how to do it, and each product comes with basic instructions. It's mostly spray and rinse procedures with a few timing, grinding, and flame-coloring secrets. Bill is the best finisher there is in my book I know he's been developing the procedures over a long period of time. You almost can't go wrong with his book and chemicals.
steelfx
4 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by steelfx »

My thanks to SignTorch for the compliments. Check out the thread under "New Plasma Cutting Products"..
there's a little more info there.

Just to clarify, none of my coloring processes involve heat, flame (or sweat) and they're technically not considered a coating.
All my solutions are acid-based and actually react with steel to form coppers, bronzes, reds, blues & blacks. (Including
Torch Flame Effects & Colors)

Very fast & easy to learn. The photo that Gary from SignTorch posted was one of my very first attempts to do a
Copper Patina on mild steel. You can do much better! My solutions & techniques have improved quite a bit over the
past 6 yrs.

Thanks for your interest & let me know if you have any questions.

Bill Worden,
Steel FX?, LLC
card1_resized.jpg
grizzly_resized.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

FreeDXF.com
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by FreeDXF.com »

I am in absolute agreement with Gary, Bill's processes and results are incredible and some of the best in the industry. If you want to learn these processes then I would recommend Bill's book and solutions.

Sincerely,
Jason Henry
Cascade Metal Designs LLC
www.customdxffiles.com
Dustan
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Dustan »

can I get this stuff shipped to canada I really really want some
Krazy Kutz metal designs
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

I'm working on it. Should have some answers within a week or so.

thanks,

Bill
Steel FX
Creedo16
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Creedo16 »

Man you get that stuff in Canada ill be all over it, like a fat kid on a smartie !
bwgsmith
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by bwgsmith »

Me too :O)
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by glgsales »

Here are 3 pieces i cut out and colored FX torch.

The file size limits the actual beauty of these colors, but the blues and reds came out really nice.

Covered them with a clear outside acrylic to protect them from the elements.
Moose-welcome-sign.jpg
dons-_bbq_pork.jpg
and of course our Lab Jed ..he has to be in every picture...lol
wolves_and_JED.jpg
Thanks Bill love this stufff.... :D

Gary

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

ron
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by ron »

ME 3,RON
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Nice Job! And, as you practice & experiment a bit, it will be even better!
Thanks for posting.

Bill
Steel FX
jeeplogic83
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by jeeplogic83 »

Bill,
Can you apply a clear powdercoat over your products? I usually bake at 400 for 10 min. I can cure at 385 for 20 min.
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

jeeplogic83 wrote:Bill,
Can you apply a clear powdercoat over your products? I usually bake at 400 for 10 min. I can cure at 385 for 20 min.

Same question for Bill,,, But the clear PC I use only needs 340 for 10 minutes.
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Yes, absolutely! Clear PC over my patinas is no problem. You just have to make sure your piece is
100% dry & tack-ragged to remove any flash-rust. The finish (PC) will "fish-eye" if there's any residual moisture
or rust on the surface. It's also best if your Clear PC is 90% Gloss, which really accentuates the colors.

thanks,

Bill
Steel FX
AnotherDano
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by AnotherDano »

steelfx wrote:Yes, absolutely! Clear PC over my patinas is no problem. You just have to make sure your piece is
100% dry & tack-ragged to remove any flash-rust. The finish (PC) will "fish-eye" if there's any residual moisture
or rust on the surface. It's also best if your Clear PC is 90% Gloss, which really accentuates the colors.

thanks,
Bill
Steel FX

No, no Bill.
We thank YOU!

I've gotta try some of your products, and soon!
Dano Roberts
droberts@ironpequod.com
PlasmaCam DHC-2 v3.11
Hypertherm PowerMax-30
Serving Laramie, Wy since Thursday
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

Whenever you're ready...give me a call or order directly from my site.
http://www.steelf-x.com/Supplies.html
:)
minnfatz
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by minnfatz »

I just ordered a gallon of Copper F/X and I can't wait to experiment with it. :mrgreen:
Metal Troll
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by Metal Troll »

Steel F/X your patinas are awesome. Very virbrant colors.

My questions is have you ever thought about selling a sampler pack with 8oz or something like that of each color along with some nuetralizer. Kind of a starter kit. My problem is I want to try all of them to see my favorite or use all kind of like a painter would use differnt colors but funds are low and I could only afford one or two but I want to play with them all. It might not be cost effective for you to sell that way.

I have talked to a few people and shown them your product off of your site but they cant seem to make up there mind like me.

Nick
glgsales
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by glgsales »

AnotherDano wrote:
steelfx wrote:Yes, absolutely! Clear PC over my patinas is no problem. You just have to make sure your piece is

thanks,
Bill
Steel FX
This is very very important!!!

I tried like hell to follow that instruction , and after spraying the 1st coat of clear on those wolves i posted earlier,it has big fish eye holes. I tried everything short of sanding it back to bare metal to get them out , didn't help :cry:
I painted 3-4 thin coats of clear to "smooth" them out a bit, but i know they are there. The wife says it looks great but we know it's not correct , and there is no way i could duplicate the colors the way they came out in 100 hundred years.

So ,take it from me ,working in a school enviroment, not the best equipment, not able to have the exact tack cloth on hand, if paint won't stick to it,neither will clear.... Clean Clean Clean..just don't rub off the patina.. ;)
As Bill says you have to experiment ,and see how much patina to use and leave on time wise, how fine a spray matters ,I heard distilled water makes a difference, lots of ways to work the patina, just make sure it is clean of rust and any foreign matter before covering it clear.

The other signs turned out much better after I paid more attention to cleaning before clearing.

Gary
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

First, I am working on bottling some 16 oz. starter kits and I think I'll offer the kits in 2 or 3 different combinations.

Secondly, if your steel is clean BEFORE the patinas are applied, there is NO FURTHER CLEANING REQUIRED after the patina has been applied and force-dried with shop-air. The only step required is to tack rag the inevitable small amount of flash-rust from the surface right before you apply the clear-coat. "Fish-Eye" is from one of two things: moisture or oil.

After polishing the steel, I always handle the piece by the edges, to avoid any skin/oil contact with the surface. And, I do NOT wear cloth gloves due to the fact that they almost always transfer lint or contaminants to the steel.

I noticed some bare steel showing in a few spots on the Moose Scene, especially near the right front leg. This happens only when the the Torch FX is left on too long & the Water Rinsing is too forceful. The proper way to rinse is more like watering pansies, not putting out a brush fire. :)

It's like anything else: practice makes perfect. (and the proper tack rags are for sale on my site)...they're cheap & they work like a dream.

One last thing: If you use the Clear-Coat that I recommend, you'll only need one coat. It will give you a deep, high-gloss, wet look. If you're still using rattle-can clear, then be prepared for problems & a finished product that
is less than you deserve. The Product? PPG Deltron DC-3000 High Velocity, Polystyrene, Fast-Drying, Excellent Flow-Out.

thanks,

Bill
Steel FX
Creedo16
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Creedo16 »

Metal Troll wrote:Steel F/X your patinas are awesome. Very virbrant colors.

My questions is have you ever thought about selling a sampler pack with 8oz or something like that of each color along with some nuetralizer. Kind of a starter kit. My problem is I want to try all of them to see my favorite or use all kind of like a painter would use differnt colors but funds are low and I could only afford one or two but I want to play with them all. It might not be cost effective for you to sell that way.

I have talked to a few people and shown them your product off of your site but they cant seem to make up there mind like me.

Nick
I too would love to try them all, but with being in Canada getting them is the bigger problem at hand ;)
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

I'm working on the shipping to Canada...Should have some answers soon. Cross your fingers! :)
ironhorse
3 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by ironhorse »

It would be fantastic if you could find a way to get your product delivered here to Canada as there are probably a ton of us just waiting to get our hands on it.

Greg
steelfx

Post by steelfx »

I'm doing my best to make that happen. Sometimes it's better to "beg forgiveness than ask permission", but when
you're dealing with Border Security, BATFE, etc. you don't want to mess around. I can't make these formulas from a jail cell. :oops:
ironhorse

Post by ironhorse »

Point well taken sir and totally understand your situation. Not a problem.

Greg

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”