To close this announcement click the X in the top right corner.
Industry Pros use FastCut CNC

Painting firepits

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
TrinityFabworks
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Painting firepits

Post by TrinityFabworks » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:27 pm

If I am cutting firepits out of 3/16" HR is it ok to just use hightemp paint right over the scale after I clean it and whipe it off. Or do I need to grind it down to bare metal before I actually paint it?

rickt
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Painting firepits

Post by rickt » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:20 pm

Scale will fall off with heat. Paint will also burn off in a hot fire even the high temp paint so it only really looks good at time of sale

Piechow
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Painting firepits

Post by Piechow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:41 pm

I’m in your boat, lately I’ve been using an orbital sander with 120g before I wipe it down. My dads got one of my pits and the paints actually holding up really well. Most people I’ve sold them to fully understand it’s a fire pit and the beauty won’t be forever. I’ve been considering getting a blasting cabinet and blasting all the pieces before I assemble in hopes the paint may last longer. So far I haven’t got any phone calls or nasty emails to rethink my strategy.

I got a quick bid from a local powder coater for ceramic coating, at $400 I’ll give the customer the option but I won’t be carrying any stock in it.

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”

Industry Pros use FastCut CNC