Rattle Can Quality

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
jakedog
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Rattle Can Quality

Post by jakedog »

Just curious what you are using for rattle can paint? Im not thrilled with the box store typical brands. I actually just used a rattle can I had from over 12 years ago from Seymour. It still worked even after being used 12 years ago. The hardware that sold it is actually long gone now too. Just wondering what is better than typical rustoleum..
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: Rattle Can Quality

Post by urbnsr »

I use a lot of Ace Hardware premium primer (dries fast) and alot of Krylon for top coat, but not a fan of the "new" nozzle. I save the nozzle insert from the primer and use it in the Krylon. The Krylon is also fast drying. Lately, I think it's Rustoleum's, hammered finish paint has caught my eye. I really like the look of it.

Back to the Ace and Krylon - Now, in Summer, I think these paints dry too fast. I'm getting these web-like strings on the edges (in a less than idea paint booth) even after checking the item before painting. The paint guy at the store thinks the over spray is drying as I spray it causing those strings. They come right off and it doesn't seem to affect the finished product.

HTH
Paul
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

Did you know that you can go the an auto paint store and have your choice of paint put into a rattle can.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
urbnsr
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by urbnsr »

Yep - Ace Hardware does that, too. At least they used to at the local store.
Capstone
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by Capstone »

Just about everywhere I go, I look through their paint dept.

I found some interesting and pretty economical options at places you might not think of right away.

Just today, I found a transparent "anodizing" like paint in a rattle can at PepBoys that I'm pretty happy with. $9 a can, but the effect is awesome imo and worth the cost for the ease of use. The variances you see on the bottom is actually the metal grinding showing through. I sprayed this on freshly polished 1/4" mild HR steel and hit it with some rattle can lacquer. I probably should have given it another coat, but I didn't want to waste it on this bracket; it was just handy and small so I could get a sense of the effect before putting it on something bigger. It also comes in Blue
2015-07-25 17.44.49.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

Phil
It's all relative...
CNC Metal Design
Instagram CNC Metal Design
JD Squared 4x8
HT PM45, Miller 251 MIG
steel 35
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by steel 35 »

That red looks really nice on the roses; no pictures there gone! I think there are four more colors not mentioned.
PPL HDG 4X8
Hyp 65 duramax's
C&CNC 620-5 Ethernet
Inkscape, Solid Edge, Sheetcam, Autocad 2K
Corel X7 Student NO DXF!
EasyScriber
bhamer62
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by bhamer62 »

Automotive stores do handle a lot of neat metallics and anodizing sprays as well as some color shifting paints. Then you can get an automotive clear with or without glitter effects or even a holographic effect to go over it. I'm not saying I use this stuff for my nicer work, but it sure can do a decent one off if you take your time with it.

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”