small clear coat bumps

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

small clear coat bumps

Post by exceptional »

I sprayed my first steel f/x clear coat (4/1 mixture)today. I used a spray gun over a powder coated project. The final product came out like a uniformed sand paper look with the grains It looked nice, but wasn't what I expected which was a glass smooth, very shiny look. Could use some help, don't know if it was my gun or something else. Thanks for any advice.
ColoradoWayne
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: small clear coat bumps

Post by ColoradoWayne »

exceptional wrote:I sprayed my first steel f/x clear coat (4/1 mixture)today. I used a spray gun over a powder coated project. The final product came out like a uniformed sand paper look with the grains It looked nice, but wasn't what I expected which was a glass smooth, very shiny look. Could use some help, don't know if it was my gun or something else. Thanks for any advice.
Hey Exceptional, Did you come up with any solutions to your concerns? I did my first 2 part clear coat - different brand - and I got similar results. Thanks
Wayne
LDR Motion Systems 4 x 4 water table
Hypertherm Powermax 65
Thumper
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thumper »

I can't speak for that type of clear but in auto clear that I use if your gun isn't atomizing the clear properly or set up right you will get a poor result often times a bumpy appearance that's actually more of an overspray problem. A good high quality clear coat gun is a must IMO. It's the final piece of the puzzle to your work and can/will ruin all your hard work!!! I use Iwata guns and the only times I have problems it's user error not an equipment failure. I see a lot of guys trying to use the same gun to spray paints and clears and honestly that's just silly IMO. 2 totally different types/gun set ups are needed to get the right results. Yes it can be done but their is no comparison in the results when done using the right set up.. Air pressure, water separator/filters, and the right gun set up correctly is the key to perfect finishes.
lockedandstocked
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by lockedandstocked »

is it like orange peal?
exceptional
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by exceptional »

Can't believe I didn't see that last question. Sorry I am so late. Yes, the pattern is like an orange peel. Good description. I have just about given up on trying to make this work. I have a good gun from Steel F/X that assured me this gun is good for clear coat, in fact, it is the one he uses. It is my fault and I know my gun probably isn't set up right but I'm at a loss as to how to get it where it needs to be. Thanks for your help.
CNCCAJUN
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by CNCCAJUN »

Call Bill @ FX . . . He will help you . . .

He is very knowledgeable & easy to talk too. . . . :D

Steve
Smiling Gator Metal Works, LLC
Dynatorch 4X4 XLS
PowerMAX 85
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”