Clear coat strip!

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
Cracker Red
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Clear coat strip!

Post by Cracker Red »

ARRRGH! I'm learning how to paint and goofed big time....forgot to turn on my refridge drier, and now Ive got little pimples all over my part. I'm assuming that they are water contaminants (FL, 95% humidity).

SOOOO I've got to try this again in the AM. What is the best way to strip it off? I'm using Steel F/X patinas, so I know I'll need to redo that as well. Do I use a 120 flap disc and just sand it off?

Can I put it in Muratic acid for a few hours?

Tell me I'm not the only one who has ruined a nice piece and had to re-do it... :(
Cracker Red
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Clear coat strip!

Post by Cracker Red »

well....I sure hope the muratic acid will do the trick. It's in the bath until the morning. Pressed for time on this one, it goes to a friend tomorrow afternoon @ 5. :(
Redneck
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Redneck »

I don't know if the acid will work or not.....never tried that. If your clear is paint, you can use Kleen Strip in an aerosol.....available at the hardware store, even at Walmart. It works ok. If your clear is a powdercoat, or for any powdercoat, try a product called B17....you can get it from Columbia Coatings, and others. It works great, but it is very strong and deserves proper respect (safety). A drop of it will leave a mark in just a few seconds. Takes powdercoat and paint off completely in just a few minutes.
Cracker Red
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Cracker Red »

The acid didn't work :(

I just cut another piece out, patin'd it and then sprayed it with crappy clear from a can. I didn't want to risk ruining another one, and don't have time to experiment today.

NOT giving up on 2k clear or spraying, but I know I can get a decent finish with clear from a can, and it's what I've got at the moment. I hate using one part clear, but it's better than nothing...and this piece will stay inside.

Will grab a can of Kleen Strip next time I order, thanks!

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”