Hydro Dipping

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
SomethingMetal
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Hydro Dipping

Post by SomethingMetal »

So who is dipping their items? I am wanting to order a small kit to try one of my guns and some of my metal items with the wood look. Really interesting stuff with awesome finishes. So who is using and if you are post up a picture.
Samson 510
Hypertherm PM85
Thumper1

Re: Hydro Dipping

Post by Thumper1 »

I own a full hydrographics shop and the options are unlimited on what can be done. I'll be happy to answers any questions you may have. It works out pretty good for us,we can turn a profit on the same item 2 times and it's totally custom.
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

I have been totally digging the hydrographics stuff for a while now. A couple questions....how durable is it? Does it scratch easy? If so, is there anything you can do to keep it from scratching or getting messed up? Also, how does it do on bare steel in regards to rust? Do you need to paint or seal the steel before dipping or does the hydrodip protect the steel from rust or the elements.

Thanks for any help.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
_Ogre
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by _Ogre »

not sure how others do it but at our shop we typically use a base coat, dip and clear coat. the ink is very thin and scratches easy. we do mostly automotive grade painting on hydrographed parts. you can get flat, semigloss and gloss clear coat.

http://www.mrt-direct.com/hitechfx.html

guns typically get a flat

but not always :mrgreen:

automotive gets high gloss

bulltear 4x8 cnc plasma table, candcnc bladerunner w/dthc, hypertherm powermax 65, sheetcam, mach3
laser cross hair for hypertherm torch http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12508
an ogre smiley :mrgreen: how cool!
tam325
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by tam325 »

Is it pretty expensive to get started with this? We make alot of small signs and think this would be a good option for our customers. I've been reading all about it online but would like to hear more from people who actually use it.
Thumper
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thumper »

tam325 wrote:Is it pretty expensive to get started with this? We make alot of small signs and think this would be a good option for our customers. I've been reading all about it online but would like to hear more from people who actually use it.

Well it can be pretty expensive to do it right, however you can start out small or better yet you have a cnc obviously build your own tank and save a fortune!!!! Once you have the tank and the basic supplies its not bad however getting stocked up on some basic films will hit your pocket book pretty good. It is however a new way to add a WIDE array of finishes to your work, it makes them stand out in a crowd and things otherwise bland looking pop with colors... on flat surfaces such as you will be doing its a very simple learning curve and you can pick it up very quickly. Shoot me a pm with any questions and Ill gladly help you out. I recently sold my Hydro business but I have enough stuff to last about 3 lifetimes :lol: so I wont hold any of the secrets back I might have otherwise :D
Thumper
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Thumper »

Wood grain finishes look awesome,

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DCMetalArt
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by DCMetalArt »

I outsourced this to a friend who dips. He done a great job for a reasonable price.
This was my first item having hydro graphics done.
It is a maroon color with blue lighting streaks with a high sheen lacquer.

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

yeomansjon
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by yeomansjon »

I'm still kicking myself for not jumping all over Thumpers equipment that went up for sale. Hydro dipping appears to be getting more and more popular here in the northeast and seems like an awesome way to finish our work.

I am curious though, back to the 'rust' question. Any problems with surface rust developing under the graphic on the metal and bubbling or de-laminating over time?
Fast Jonny Custom Design
CNC Plasma Cutting
Plasmacam DHC
Hypertherm Powermax 1000
www.facebook.com/fastjonnycustomdesign

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”