What Finish for hot rolled wall panels

Learn and share top coat finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here. Paint, anodize, rubber coating, etc.
loganjstuckey
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

What Finish for hot rolled wall panels

Post by loganjstuckey »

I'm looking at making my own hot rolled wall panels for a fireplace surround. Should I just apply a wax such as the sculpt nuoveau waxes or the renaissance wax that steel f/x has, or a clear coat? It will be indoors, however, I'm also looking at doing some things on the outside of my house with hot rolled steel as well. I guess I'm just looking for general advice on finishing steel without having to sandblast the scale or patina off.

Regards,

Logan
AREA
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Re: What Finish for hot rolled wall panels

Post by AREA »

Old topic i know but no one else has chimed in. My beef with hot roll is that the mill scale is often uneven or missing in scratched spots etc. and the cut edges rust where the face with the scale will not as quickly. I suppose a perfect piece with no missing mill scale will look good and if waxed would look good for a long time. For anything that I am coating though I would use cold roll or sandblast first. Would love to see what you come up with.
JeepGuy
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: What Finish for hot rolled wall panels

Post by JeepGuy »

i did a small panel, and just cleared it, thought it looked ok.

Return to “Paint & Other Top Coats”