hybrid blasting cabinet diy

Learn and share abrasive & texturing finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

hybrid blasting cabinet diy

Post by sawdust1 »

I built my own cabinet, just finished it. My issue is abrasive supply I parted out a Kijiji donor that has a siphon supply. It does not supply much! possibly because I extended the siphon hose to accommodate the larger reach in the cabinet. So does anyone have suggestions to increase sand before I start modifying?

My solution unless someone is willing to tell me it does not work! Put a hopper above the blaster so it will feed by gravity and then mix at the last minute at the nozzle. I can put a flow control valve in there as well. This will mean digging the sand out of the bottom of the machine and pailing it up to the top hopper. For the limited amount I blast I am willing.

Tak, David
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: hybrid blasting cabinet diy

Post by acourtjester »

I built my own blast cabinet too and did have problems with the siphon action, and have corrected it. There are 2 things I did have a deep sump for the sand to collect in the bottom that was to deep. I reduced the depth and another thing is you must have a small hole in the siphon tube so air gets mixed with the sand to aid in its flow. The siphon action is not strong enough to pull just sand. The cabinet now recycles the sand from the bottom I just add sand as needed. You also need a vacuum to pull the dust out of the cabinet the sand does break down into fine dust over time.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I may have to raise the floor of the sand collection to lessen the depth. My siphon hose may be too large diameter, when I release the trigger the sand falls back and creates a column. My air supply fitting in the siphon tube for some reason has a restrictor in it, going to drill that out. My vacuum does a good job but I need to control where the fines go. I will attempt a video walkaround. Thank you for the information, food for thought.
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

Here is a video link of my cabinet. Not quite done yet.
https://youtu.be/fK6W8KRLZio
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

Great use of things you have at hand, Here are a few images of mine as I said I had to raise up the bottom where the sand collects for better pickup of the sand.
DSCF3278.JPG
DSCF3282.JPG
DSCF3290.JPG

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

@acourtjester I improved the airflow in the air supply tube that leads into the sand pickup, also learned to be patient.... Two or three seconds of airflow are needed before the sand appears. I have no idea why but my protection film on the inside of the plexiglass is not being damaged at all. Not complaining! I am going to put and adjustable air intake somewhere, the exhaust fan is big enough to keep the compartment completely clear if the door is left partly open. Closed door makes it hard to see.

Onto the oven!

David

Return to “Abrasive & Texturing”