Attechin 2 metal pieces with space between them for effect

Learn and share abrasive & texturing finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Brambicure
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Attechin 2 metal pieces with space between them for effect

Post by Brambicure »

Hi. I have a new project that requires attaching 2 pieces of metal together. I would like to leave some space 1/8" between them for a cool effect. What kind of spacers would you recommend and what do you connect them together with. I have used monster tape and rivers for other projects but not sure what to use for this. Thanks for any ideas
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Re: Attechin 2 metal pieces with space between them for effect

Post by Gamelord »

Weld some threaded studs onto the back of the first piece, then screw a nut onto it, then through the back piece. For larger spacing add two nuts between and separate as wanted. Then bolt the whole thing together and grind off the rest of the threads on the back. Be sure to use some loctite on the threads just to make sure it stays together and doesn't work loose.

This works perfectly for doing this, just cut the top of a bolt off or use some all-thread.
https://www.amazon.com/Autoshot-4550-St ... B002FZJ806
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

Not knowing how big and heavy the pieces are.... I use 3m ultra high adhesion tape. You can purchase it in different widths and thicknesses.I have a whole lot of 1/6 thick, two layers would give you what you need. It is good for powdercoated surfaces and is also very heat resistant. I use it for sticking house numbers and letters to a contrasting background. Also worked well for the yin yang cat that was wandering around the forum.

Could you weld a nut or post onto the back side of the front piece to hold it proud and then drill and plug weld the back piece onto the front? Would be hard to finish in between the layers.

David
JesseB
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by JesseB »

I have used Neodymium magnets they come in different sizes, thickness.
sawdust1
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by sawdust1 »

I have done that too, I find I occasionally have to suck the dust off the piece because it collects magnetic dust out of the air even though it is outside my garage door. I use the garage as kind of a display. The magnet is screwed to the stucco, no matter where the hanger is welded on the back it can still hang by the magnet.

Return to “Abrasive & Texturing”