Belt Sander Deburring / Finishing Help

Learn and share abrasive & texturing finishing techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
38aRacer

Belt Sander Deburring / Finishing Help

Post by 38aRacer » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:12 pm

What is the best bang for your buck Conveyor Belt Sander 36" wide approximately? Not looking to break the bank but looking for a solid machine.Thanks

cuttinparts

Re: Belt Sander Deburring / Finishing Help

Post by cuttinparts » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:28 pm

What are trying to do with it? I had an affordable one years ago for putting a brushed finish in aluminum but it wouldn't be tough enough for anyone trying to take slag off or anything like that.

ccoatings

Post by ccoatings » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:40 pm

I am looking at the Laguna Tools 36" Wide Belt Metal Sander, the compact series.

cstroke
Elite Contributing Member

Post by cstroke » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:47 pm

It says minimum height is 1/8" thick?
6’x12’ Dynatorch with a powermax 85
10’ Wysong brake
5’x5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ Pearson shear
65 TonEdwards ironworks
Misc welding machines
Lathes mills

cstroke

Post by cstroke » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:10 pm

Anyone used these with success?? 12k is a bunch of cash if it doesnt remove dross..
10’ Wysong brake
5’x5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ Pearson shear
65 TonEdwards ironworks
Misc welding machines
Lathes mills

adbuch

Post by adbuch » Mon May 10, 2021 11:48 pm

And if the minimum material thickness is 1/8" this would leave out many of the folks doing artistic projects from thinner material.
David

ccoatings

Post by ccoatings » Tue May 11, 2021 2:29 am

I did end up getting it, and it removes and finishes the pieces very well. The minimum listed is wrong, I run 16G continuously, and it works great, I also run my stainless bottle openers through it that are 8 inches long, so no issues there. I did discover that the different belt manufacturers do have some differences in their belts. I like combat abrasives the best so far. Either zirconium, or the ceramic. I'm on deployment right now, otherwise I would have some photos. I've been using it for straight line graining as well.

adbuch

Post by adbuch » Tue May 11, 2021 6:56 pm

Thanks for the update! It sounds like it works great.
David

cstroke

Post by cstroke » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:00 pm

I'm really considering one of these. Do you have to do any hand grinding or will this machine get rid of all of it?
Low speed dross in 18ga material?
How does it do with intricate stuff with catching items?
I've been told the oscillation really helps.
Any thoughts?
I've been doing the acid bath then grind, then sandblast and to the powdercoater.
I'd think this should be a run through maybe a few times and send to the powdercoater.
Difficult to spend that much money without knowing all the details.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
10’ Wysong brake
5’x5/16’ wysong rolls
3.8’x10’ Pearson shear
65 TonEdwards ironworks
Misc welding machines
Lathes mills

dannymcclure67

Post by dannymcclure67 » Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:44 pm

Can the timesaver machines be used on metal if it was originally meant for wood?

adbuch

Post by adbuch » Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:31 am

dannymcclure67 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:44 pm
Can the timesaver machines be used on metal if it was originally meant for wood?
Probably not very successfully. It looks to me like Timesavers makes specific machines for wood

https://timesaversinc.com/wood-solutions

and specific machines for metal.

https://timesaversinc.com/metal-solutions

There has been some discussion on converting wide belt sanders originally intended for wood to use for metal here.

David

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/w ... al-357952/

Dishtech55

Post by Dishtech55 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:34 am

I ordered the Laguna MW37C, Wide Belt Sander also. should be here in a few weeks. Cant wait. A lot of my Cuts are 36x36, and last Christmas., All the orders came in at last minute.. I didn't think I would ever get all of them sanded by Hand, with out my hand falling off...lol but I did.. So this is like an extra person helping me. They are ready for my Powder Coating oven. I can now cut , Sand , and powder and out the door less than an hour on each piece. I picked the Laguna because of the Price. EZ sander is several Thousands Higher. Plus I bought mine at USToolsDepot. They are $1000.00 cheaper on the same machine as others , plus NO Sales Taxes.. That's another $1000.00 savings...I have an industrial 36" dual drum Sander, That im going to sell on here, if anyone is interested in it. Only had it for a bout a month, used it several times and it quit. only to later after ordering New Laguna wide belt sander, it was my main breaker on my electric box was bad.. only had one side.. replaced the box,, and bam.. its up and sanding .. So it going to be for sale..$5500.00 and it is for Metal... I was told Metal Drums turn opposite way as wood.
229847377_183251473735750_1838594234996692402_n.jpg

You do not have access to view or download this file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to this feature. Click Here

4x10 Home Built Super Table.
Inkscape,Qcad,CorelDraw,Sheetcam
Eastwood 60 amp Plasma Cutter
Eastwood Powder Coating Gun
Miller 250 Mig
Lincoln 100 Mig
Build Trailers

ccoatings

Post by ccoatings » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:21 pm

I usually run the back side in a few passes (changing orientation) to deburr or get any heavy dross spots, then the front on one or two depending on the finish I want. If it is brushed, then one pass in the direction I want the strokes. I have not hand grinded since purchasing this. I can then take straight to powder from there. It really does great. I do like the combat abrasives belts the best for it. I am still messing with what grit and type I like best, but those will vary amongst end result. The drum is soft, so you will get some edge rounding depending on your settings which is great for the powder to prevent edge pull. I tried empire, but they wore down fairly quick over Combat. The zirconium does last a good while. I am going to try the ceramic next. I really am hay with the purchase, I ran a tone of art through it the last few weeks and it keeps ticking. I opted to forgo their dust collector, I plan on making my own with a poly drum with water, like their cut sheet shows.

I'll have to get some photos, but I have sent some intricate arts through, just be aware of orientation - some may ass through better in certain angles to keep things from getting caught.

Dishtech55

Post by Dishtech55 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:59 pm

Dishtech55 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:34 am
I ordered the Laguna MW37C, Wide Belt Sander also. should be here in a few weeks. Cant wait. A lot of my Cuts are 36x36, and last Christmas., All the orders came in at last minute.. I didn't think I would ever get all of them sanded by Hand, with out my hand falling off...lol but I did.. So this is like an extra person helping me. They are ready for my Powder Coating oven. I can now cut , Sand , and powder and out the door less than an hour on each piece. I picked the Laguna because of the Price. EZ sander is several Thousands Higher. Plus I bought mine at USToolsDepot. They are $1000.00 cheaper on the same machine as others , plus NO Sales Taxes.. That's another $1000.00 savings...I have an industrial 36" dual drum Sander, That im going to sell on here, if anyone is interested in it. Only had it for a bout a month, used it several times and it quit. only to later after ordering New Laguna wide belt sander, it was my main breaker on my electric box was bad.. only had one side.. replaced the box,, and bam.. its up and sanding .. So it going to be for sale..$5500.00 and it is for Metal... I was told Metal Drums turn opposite way as wood.

229847377_183251473735750_1838594234996692402_n.jpg
THIS ITEM IS SOLD.. THANKS FOR ALL WHO ASKED ABOUT IT..
4x10 Home Built Super Table.
Inkscape,Qcad,CorelDraw,Sheetcam
Eastwood 60 amp Plasma Cutter
Eastwood Powder Coating Gun
Miller 250 Mig
Lincoln 100 Mig
Build Trailers

Return to “Abrasive & Texturing”

Industry Pros use FastCut CNC