Powder Coating Gun

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
FazQuaz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Powder Coating Gun

Post by FazQuaz »

The powder coater I use sold his business and is no longer available. I need to powder coat my parts and add this service to my business. I want to buy a quality gun/setup that I won't be upgrading later. The two guns I am looking at are:
-Colo KF-X1 Costs about $1200 with just a basic setup like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/KF-X1-Portbabl ... 0010.m2109

The other gun is a Kool Koat HD by Columbia coatings. Cost about 1899.00. found here: https://www.columbiacoatings.com/kool-koat-hd.aspx

My oven will be 3ft wide x 3ft deep x 5ft tall. This should fit anything I have ever taken to the powder coater.

I am new to powder coating and I don't know what I don't know! I just want to start with the right equipment.
Star Lab NGEN 4x8
PowerMax 85
Linux/Command CNC
Zukzilla
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Re: Powder Coating Gun

Post by Zukzilla »

See if you can find a 2nd hand gema they are the rolls of the powdercoater machines
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by acourtjester »

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
duner405
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by duner405 »

I made my oven 4ft x4ftx5ft Inside less metal cutting unless you have the 3 foot metal ebay for the elements and controller. I bought the kool coat 3.0 and been very pleased it. very good costumer service from Columbia coating
FazQuaz
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by FazQuaz »

I am really liking the Kool Coat setup and think I will go that direction. The Colo's seem to be a copy of the Gema machines at a much lower price. They also seem to be a gamble. It may work and and it may not. Columbia seems to be the safe bet.
Star Lab NGEN 4x8
PowerMax 85
Linux/Command CNC
plasmanewbie
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member
4.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by plasmanewbie »

FazQuaz wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:03 pm I am really liking the Kool Coat setup and think I will go that direction. The Colo's seem to be a copy of the Gema machines at a much lower price. They also seem to be a gamble. It may work and and it may not. Columbia seems to be the safe bet.
I am very interested to hear how the Kook Coat gun works for you if you decide to go with it. Please post back with your experience :Yay
ccoatings
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by ccoatings »

I'll second the Gema Optiflex if you can find one used, but the Columbia ones do work great, I was just running many parts that had heavy faraday areas where the gema upgrade was night and day and saved me a ton of time. For most metal work, the Kool Koat does just fine.

Return to “Powder Coat”