Typical finishing process...

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Typical finishing process...

Post by Jfile »

Hi all. I'm new to plasma. As a matter of fact, my table is due in sometime over the next 2 weeks. I've been reading and researching and trying to learn as much as I can, although I imagine, much of what I learn will be from hands on. I mostly plan to do signs and art using most steel 1/4" and under. From what I can tell, most people use around 14 - 16 gauge.

So, my question is, what is the most common way of finishing your metal art? I know it would depend a great deal on the piece itself but would it be safe to say that most pieces are finished with a solid color of either spray paint or powder coating? I know some of the really cool American flag designs would look best using red, white and blue of course. For animal scenes, (deer, buffalo, elk, eagles, dogs etc...) would you just use a solid color?

Again, I know it will depend on the piece and personal preference, but I'm just curious what the general consensus is among those who have been doing this for awhile.

Thanks!!

Jeff
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam
nevetskrats
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Re: Typical finishing process...

Post by nevetskrats »

Jeff,

I have only been doing this for about a year and found out real quick that my original idea of using spray paint was not going to work. There are a lot of people with the talent and patience to do this but I am not one of them. So I ended up going to powder coating and very glad that I did. I only do 1 color right now because I'm still new to this but you can do multiple coats and colors powder coating with the right equipment. I just bought some metal dyes and an air brush and will by giving that a shot here soon, with the dyes and a clear coat pieces look very nice and it's easier to get multiple colors.
Jfile
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Re: Typical finishing process...

Post by Jfile »

Thanks for the feedback. I doubt very seriously if I would be very effective with spray paint either. I would love to be able to get set up with a beginner powder coating set up. I'm already behind budget because, when I bought my table I didn't take in to account that I would need to spend another $500 on a good air dryer / filter system.

Could you point me to a source for a some beginner powder coating equipment? Also, do you have to use a separate booth with you are spraying?

Thanks again for the help!

Jeff
LDR 4'x4' Water Table
Command CNC Linux Controller
Plate Marker
Power Max 45xp w/ Machine Torch & Hand Torch
2 Stage filter, Motorguard filter & HF Ref Dryer
InkScape / SheetCam

Return to “Powder Coat”