Harbour Freight powder coat guns

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
OTHill
3.5 Star Elite Contributing Member

Harbour Freight powder coat guns

Post by OTHill »

Hi.I'm using HF gun and getting by. Big problem still is barrel filling with powder and puking it out. Any suggestions? I have modified it to use Mason jars but still no difference.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Harbour Freight powder coat guns

Post by acourtjester »

the way it works is the power is to fly around inside the jar and slowly go into the barrel. If you have the jar to full it forces the power out way more them it should. Try reducing the amount of power in the jar.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
Jarett
1/2 Star Member
1/2 Star Member

Post by Jarett »

When using the regular plastic containers for the gun I only fill mine about 1/4 full. Any more powder and it blows to much out.
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

It will even do it when the jar is almost empty.
5x10 table,Precision plasma gantry,Cand CNC electronics,Hypertherm 65 plasma,King lathe and mill,255 lincoln mig welder.Dawson Creek BC. Much modified Fastcut 4x8 plasma table with Ethercut
Probird
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Probird »

Very poor design, had one when I first started powder coating and it would do the same thing. Ended up taking it apart and sharpening the cross sections at the tip, worked better but still sucked. Bought a spectracoat gun and it works excellent, not a production setup, but sprays out fine and is going on 4 Year’s without a hiccup.

Try turning your pressure WAY down and have someone turn it up slow until it sprays better, if I remember correctly, it takes really low pressure or it blobs out really bad.
4x8 Premier Plasma Table
Hypertherm 45xp
Inkscape
Viacad
Sheetcam
Mach3
Proma 150 THC
Gamelord
4.5 Star Member
4.5 Star Member

Post by Gamelord »

Usually a pressure issue. You only need barely any air pressure. Usually 10-12 psi and your air needs to be very very very dry. any moisture and it will blow chunks.
Once you take flight, your eyes will forever be turned to the sky." "Lack of appreciation is the worlds biggest crime."

Torchmate 6x14 w/THC Downdraft
Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
Corel Draw / Adobe Illustrator
Torchmate CAD
OTHill

Post by OTHill »

Thanks all guess I should go looking for a new gun.
Granite
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Granite »

In addition to keeping pressure low at your regulator, and no more than 1/4 full jar, adjust that brass knob at the base of your gun handle, to its minimum. Mine is super sensitive but that knob adjustment has fixed most of my problems.
Dishtech55
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Dishtech55 »

Eastwood Dual Voltage,Is an Awesome Powder Gun for the money..My uncle had the Harbor Freight Gun,until one day he came to my shop,when I was powdering..He went home and ordered the Eastwood gun..and never looked back..He said there is no comparison .
4x10 Home Built Super Table.
4x4x6` Home Built LP Powder Coat oven
Hypertherm 45 xp plasma cutter
Eastwood 60 amp Plasma Cutter
Eastwood Powder Coating Gun
Miller 252 Mig with Spool Gun
Lincoln 100 Mig
Build Trailers
Dishtech55

Post by Dishtech55 »

I also drilled a small hole at the top of the suction tube. this makes a swirl inside the jar. Works a lot better.. But I know there is a lot better out there. and some day will make the better move.
4x10 Home Built Super Table.
4x4x6` Home Built LP Powder Coat oven
Hypertherm 45 xp plasma cutter
Eastwood 60 amp Plasma Cutter
Eastwood Powder Coating Gun
Miller 252 Mig with Spool Gun
Lincoln 100 Mig
Build Trailers
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

This is all very interesting - thanks for all the tips! I bought a HF powder coat gun kit back around 2004, and only used it several times on small brackets - but they turned out great and the coating really flowed out nicely. I was using the powder that came with the kit. For doing this more professionally and spraying larger pieces, I can definitely see where the purchase of a higher quality gun would be a big plus.
David

Return to “Powder Coat”