It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:43 am

 

Powder Coat Gun?

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
nevetskrats
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Powder Coat Gun?

Postby nevetskrats » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Good afternoon, I am about to start powder coating my metal art projects because my local powder is way to high on his prices and rattle can just doesn't hold up. I want to spray textured powders mostly and can't decide on the gun. Would the red line EZ 50 be good? Or do I need to get a gun with a fluidizer?

motoguy
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:05 pm
Location: Central MO, USA

Re: Powder Coat Gun?

Postby motoguy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:38 pm

My first gun was an Eastwood Dual Voltage gun. It works very well. Reading all the praise of the EZ50, I purchased one of those as well. It's been a disappointment. It can "puke" powder, but I think that's just an inherent issue in cup guns...can't really fault the EZ specifically for that one. However, I cannot get it to put down good multi-coats. My Eastwood gun actually does that better.

After the disappointment of the EZ, I purchased a COLO 181 box feed system. It applies powder like magic, but there's a lot of cleanup/waste with the box feed system, for the small color shots I typically do. I'm currently experimenting with a cup gun attachment for it.

I just purchased my 2nd Eastwood Dual voltage gun as well...it should be here on Saturday. I'm going to leave 1 Eastwood out in the shop with the Colo, and have the 2nd Eastwood in the basement, where I can shoot stainless tumblers with it.
Bulltear 6x12 w/ Proton Z axis & watertable
CommandCNC/Linux w/ Ohmic & HyT options
Hypertherm Powermax 85 w/ machine torch
Solidworks, Coreldraw X7, Inkscape, Sheetcam

michmetalman
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:43 am

Re: Powder Coat Gun?

Postby michmetalman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:07 am

I use nothing but the Eastwood dual voltage and its been great. My brother and I powdercoat thousands of things a year (he has one also) and they have not let us down.

User avatar
WyoGreen
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 675
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:36 pm
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming

Re: Powder Coat Gun?

Postby WyoGreen » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:57 am

I'm using a Nitro Faze cup gun from Powder 365. It works very well for everything I do, and the cups are not that expensive, I have around a dozen cups with the more popular colors I use in them. When I need a different color than whats in the gun, I unscrew the cup on it, blow out the gun, and screw on a different cup/color. I have a backup gun, which I seem to remember being the EZ 50, but other than ensuring it works, I have never used it. I picked up the two guns, oven, booth, and various powders from an estate sale a few years ago.

Steve
Precision Plasma gantry
CommandCNC Linux controller w/Feather Touch & PN200 hand controller
HT-45 plasma cutter
Plate Marker
CNC Router table

nevetskrats
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Re: Powder Coat Gun?

Postby nevetskrats » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I have heard so many good things about the eastwood dual voltage gun, I should probably check it out before committing to something pricier. Do you shot a lot of textured finishes? Was the finish pretty consistent?

User avatar
acourtjester
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 3151
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:04 pm
Location: Pensacola, Fla

Re: Powder Coat Gun?

Postby acourtjester » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:20 pm

This is the one I bought works fine mine is 120 Volts AC :lol:
http://www.caswellplating.com/caswell-p ... -plug.html
Here is a textured power job I did coated all metal parts on that project.
DSCN2452.JPG

DSCN2451.JPG

You do not have access to download this dxf file.
Become a Contributing Member to gain access to the thousands of files shared by our members. Click Here

DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
CandCNC DTHC-IV & Feather Touch
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PM 256 tig

michmetalman
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:43 am

Re: Powder Coat Gun?

Postby michmetalman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 pm

nevetskrats wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I have heard so many good things about the eastwood dual voltage gun, I should probably check it out before committing to something pricier. Do you shot a lot of textured finishes? Was the finish pretty consistent?

I use the textured black most of the time from Eastwood and LOVE it!

michmetalman
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:43 am

Re: Powder Coat Gun?

Postby michmetalman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 pm

michmetalman wrote:
nevetskrats wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I have heard so many good things about the eastwood dual voltage gun, I should probably check it out before committing to something pricier. Do you shot a lot of textured finishes? Was the finish pretty consistent?

I use the textured black most of the time from Eastwood and LOVE it! I know it was on sale recently for $99 I think, not sure if it still is.

michmetalman
Elite Contributing Member
Elite Contributing Member
Posts: 568
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:43 am

Re: Powder Coat Gun?

Postby michmetalman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 pm

michmetalman wrote:
michmetalman wrote:
nevetskrats wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I have heard so many good things about the eastwood dual voltage gun, I should probably check it out before committing to something pricier. Do you shot a lot of textured finishes? Was the finish pretty consistent?

I use the textured black most of the time from Eastwood and LOVE it! I know the dual gun was on sale recently for $99 I think, not sure if it still is.


Return to “Powder Coat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Easyscriber engrave attachment for Hypertherm torch's