Powder coat gun

Learn and share powder coating techniques, experiences, and product knowledge here.
Countrylane
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Powder coat gun

Post by Countrylane »

We're wanting to try powder coating on a small scale to see if we could manage to do our own. I'm wondering about the Eastwood dual voltage gun that sells for $220 here in KMS Tools in Canada. Does it work or would we be wasting money. It is the cheapest one I've come across. Anyone have that one and like it? Thanks
acourtjester
6 Star Elite Contributing Member

Re: Powder coat gun

Post by acourtjester »

You may want to do some google searches for power guns and reviews
here is one about the Eastwood (I did not view it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnUAZTV8vy0
There are videos about how to modify cheaper guns to do better too.
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
david47julie
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by david47julie »

I have two eastwood duel voltage guns they are the only guns i have ever used, they work fine for my projects and will certainly get you started that beeing said I am in the market to upgade in the near future because the inexpesnsive guns do limit what you can do
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

OK David, don't leave us hanging like that. What do you mean limit what you can do. I have owned a dual voltage Eastwood gun for about a year and have never taken it out of the box. SHAME ON ME!

Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
michmetalman
3.5 Star Member
3.5 Star Member

Post by michmetalman »

I use the dual voltage gun and I have no problems. I don't use it on much of anything over 3ft. but no complaints from me.
david47julie
1.5 Star Member
1.5 Star Member

Post by david47julie »

:)
little blue choo wrote:OK David, don't leave us hanging like that. What do you mean limit what you can do. I have owned a dual voltage Eastwood gun for about a year and have never taken it out of the box. SHAME ON ME!

Rick
recessed holes can be a problem and these guns don't aply the second coat very well. I can put a second coat on but the part has to be preheated first. You have to play with the air pressure a little, when the cup is on the full side you adjust the pressure down a bit or to much powder comes out and when the cup gets low on powder I adjust the pressure up a little. I adjust the pressure with the trigger pulled until I get the amount of powder rite. On large flat parts it can be a little tricky getting an even coat but over all I am pleased with the results. I think if you take it out of the box might be plesantly suprised how easy it is to use :D
little blue choo
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by little blue choo »

Thanks for the info David. I plan on trying mine out soon and what you have shared with me will make a big difference in the learning curve. I will know to pay attention to the air pressure.
Thanks
Rick
Rick
Arclight 9600 4x8 table
Hypertherm PM65
Acc. Plate Marker, 4 inch Pipe Cutter, Wood Router package
Quincy Q54 compressor 2 stage, 5hp, 60 gal
Refrigerated air dryer & 4 stage filtration system
Software Mach 3, Sheetcam, Solid Edge 2D, Inkscape
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I have it. It does an ok job. But once you get a real nice gun the difference is night and day
I sell redline ez50 guns if you want a nice gun at a good price
Message me
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Wadzii
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by Wadzii »

I use the cheap-o harbor freight gun, I've made a nice "fluidizer" for it that takes the hopper off of the gun and uses readily available mason jars. I 3d print these.

I've sold a few to some local guys and they love it. It makes the powder flow much more consistent from a full jar all the way till the jar is empty. When you're done just put a lid on the jar with a desiccant pack in there and the powder stays good for a really long time.
acourtjester

Post by acourtjester »

and the price is??
DIY 4X4 Plasma/Router Table
Hypertherm PM65 Machine Torch
Drag Knife and Scribe
Miller Mig welder
13" metal lathe
Small Mill
Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
gamble
4 Star Member
4 Star Member

Post by gamble »

I will sell you guys redline es50 guns for 310 shipped
I have 7 of them on stock and I have at least 60 extra cups
Torchmate 2x2 - Flashcut
Powermax 45 - Machine torch
Taig CNC Mill - Flashcut
Razorweld Distributor
Unvevo
2 Star Elite Contributing Member

Post by Unvevo »

http://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.p ... at#p124926

I use the cheaper single voltage gun and the dual voltage. Its so simple there isnt much to break on them. First and second coats are no problem. Third and forth you have to preheat to get a thicker coat. Unless you do a upgraded earth ground. Tons of videos on how people do extra ground rods to improve powder coat quality.
Countrylane
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by Countrylane »

Thanks to all for responding to my question. I think I have decided to go with the redline EZ50 gun. Abit more money but will be worth it. We're not quite ready to start yet and being from Canada we'll be purchasing one here. Sounds like a really good deal gamble. If it wasn't for the border I'd consider your offer. Another question I have is doing clear powder coating. Any harder than color? I do some Steel FX dyes on wall art and would be doing a fair bit of high gloss powder coat over them. I like it so much better than the spray clear coat. The place we take our stuff to now do a beautiful job.
DCMW
1 Star Member
1 Star Member

Post by DCMW »

gamble wrote:I will sell you guys redline es50 guns for 310 shipped
I have 7 of them on stock and I have at least 60 extra cups
Do you still sell these guns?
krymis
2 Star Member
2 Star Member

Post by krymis »

@gamble
please do let me know if you still have these guns. I may be in the market for one. I have the eastwood dual voltage gun now.
Dishtech55

Post by Dishtech55 »

Eastwood is an Awesome Powder Gun..I keep it clean after each use.and blow it out...Goes on very well... I just adjust air,on a small regulator ,that I added before the handle...I just pull the trigger ,and watch the flow that comes out,and adjust to the very min. that applies good..10 lbs is way too much..it just waste powder,and flows through the air.. very happy with it. Wont by another..
4x10 Home Built Super Table.
4x4x6` Home Built LP Powder Coat oven
Hypertherm 45 xp plasma cutter
Eastwood 60 amp Plasma Cutter
Eastwood Powder Coating Gun
Miller 252 Mig with Spool Gun
Lincoln 100 Mig
Build Trailers
Dishtech55

Post by Dishtech55 »

A month a go I bought a Cheap Gun From Columbia Coatings. Its a Kool Koat Quik Shot Powder Gun !! $124.99 shipped to your door. This gun does NOT hook up to 120volt . It only has a ground wire on it.and a place for air hose! I cant brag on this gun enough . It crates static electricity as powder flows through the gun. and it sticks to anything.. Get corners really well.. I use this gun with an outside 8 foot copper ground wire to my Powder room hanger. And I dont have to use the ground wire on the gun at all. Bottle is upside down on gun. doesnt have to siphon ! Check them out for a great gun , for a cheap price.. alot better than my 2 Eastwood guns. But I will say Columbia Coating WILL NOT stand behind this gun. I now do business with Prismatic Powders! They have been so good to talk with on problems on powders and such. They take the time. Columbia DOES NOT EVEN CALL BACK!

https://www.columbiacoatings.com/KKQS-01.aspx
Last edited by Dishtech55 on Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4x10 Home Built Super Table.
4x4x6` Home Built LP Powder Coat oven
Hypertherm 45 xp plasma cutter
Eastwood 60 amp Plasma Cutter
Eastwood Powder Coating Gun
Miller 252 Mig with Spool Gun
Lincoln 100 Mig
Build Trailers
Dawgonhawg
3 Star Member
3 Star Member

Post by Dawgonhawg »

Do your self a favor and buy a Gema powder coat gun. if you do this buy the small container that mounts to the gun. Makes changing colors easy.
My guess they are about $6k now.
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Dawgonhawg wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:43 pm Do your self a favor and buy a Gema powder coat gun. if you do this buy the small container that mounts to the gun. Makes changing colors easy.
That sounds like a "top shelf" gun, but I expect to pricey for most of us hobbyists. Robert Johnson mentioned a gun he has been using for quite some time now with great success priced at just under $1000. Robert does commercial work and is pretty much a perfectionist. Based on his recommendation, this is the one I plan to buy once I finish my new oven. And I'm pretty sure that even this $1000 price is really pushing it for most hobbyists.

I bought a HF powder coat gun set about 15 years ago and it worked great for small parts, brackets, and such. I'm sure not as nice as the more expensive units, but for what I was doing (alternator brackets, etc.) I had no complaints.

David

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/powde ... acoat.html
Spectracoat power coat gun.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

adbuch

Post by adbuch »

david47julie wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:28 pm :)
little blue choo wrote:OK David, don't leave us hanging like that. What do you mean limit what you can do. I have owned a dual voltage Eastwood gun for about a year and have never taken it out of the box. SHAME ON ME!

Rick
recessed holes can be a problem and these guns don't aply the second coat very well. I can put a second coat on but the part has to be preheated first. You have to play with the air pressure a little, when the cup is on the full side you adjust the pressure down a bit or to much powder comes out and when the cup gets low on powder I adjust the pressure up a little. I adjust the pressure with the trigger pulled until I get the amount of powder rite. On large flat parts it can be a little tricky getting an even coat but over all I am pleased with the results. I think if you take it out of the box might be plesantly suprised how easy it is to use :D
:Like :Like :Like :Like :Like
adbuch

Post by adbuch »

Dawgonhawg wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:43 pm Do your self a favor and buy a Gema powder coat gun. if you do this buy the small container that mounts to the gun. Makes changing colors easy.
You were pretty close on the price. That looks like a professional setup that would be used in the large commercial powder coating shops.
David
Gema powder coat gun comparison.jpg

You currently do not have access to download this file.
To gain download access for DXF, SVG & other files Click Here

34by151
2.5 Star Member
2.5 Star Member

Post by 34by151 »

I started out using the cheep gun,same as the harbour freight ones.
These will get the job done but have issues.
If your not coating very often the HF or eastwood are fine.

A little more gets you the EZ50 and a little more the EZ100
These are a major upgrade fron the HF type guns

I upgraded to these and the difference is amazing
Im using the EZ100J

One big advantage is it's 100kv. The power is adjustable on the gun so you can ajust to get into corners on the fly.
The 100kw means you waste a lot less powder as it will wrap around your part a lot better.
It alo has a power flow adjustment on the gun.
With the cheep guns you need to keep shaking them to get the powder to flow. As you shake you get masses of powder
This is not needed with the EZ50/100 as the flow just works

If you can afford it get an EZ50 or 100

I picked up a Gemma system at acution a while back as well. I actully prefer the EZ100 for my parts. I dont need to load 20kg of powder in to the gemma hopper or to exit the booth to adjust settings. Now If I was doing really big stuff like railings id use a gemma. But for smaller stuff like wheels Id go an EZ100. Ive sold off the gemma

The HF/Eastwood are low end systems and priced acordingly
The EZ50/100 is aproaching professional with pricing just above the low end systems
Gemma Is high end and priced high as well

Return to “Powder Coat”